• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bum baths

I've never used shampoo - just warm water. I find that has always been sufficient to remove any 'stuck' droppings. With my Bridge Bun, Daisy, my vet used to shave her for me around that area as she was unable to clean herself due to ill-health. That made the bottom baths much easier to do.

Firstly rabbits should not be completely bathed all over, their fur is extremely thick and it would take a long time to dry, may cause problems with temp regulation especially if outdoors and would wash the natural oils from the fur.

Ive never used any type of shampoo just warm water! Botty baths are definitely an aquired skill!! It is no fun trying to do the one person one handed botty bath!! I'm getting better but sometimes a second pair of hands is needed! I rarely manage to get my Daisy completely clean and some of her white fur seems to be stained a permanent yellow colour I try my best but its not easy! I use a kitchen basin filled with 1.5inches of warmish water, I check her bottom by trying to lay her back a bit in one arm and remove anything that is easily removable... it's totally gross but I just get stuck in and delve my fingers into wet squishy caecal! I make sure to note where the clumps are and what needs to come off then I lower her back feet into the bowl and hold her with one hand under her front legs so she's sitting up! I try and hold her against the side of the bowl and me for extra support. I then use my free hand to delve below, if the caecal has set like concrete I try and bend it and dig my nails into it eventually it will begin to crack and come away! I rub little hard bits stuck in fur between my thumb and finger rather than pull and eventually they crumble and come away! I always do a second wash as the water gets very manky to help rinse pooey water off! I then try and dry her off firstly with kitchen roll then with a hair dryer on the lowest heat setting, putting my hand in between the airflow and Daisy's bottom to make sure it's not too hot while I ruffle her fur!

This is Ms Daisy having a botty bath just look at the water colour! It can also help to put an old flannel or tea towel in the bottom of the basin so it doesnt feel slippy to their paws.

4A78C02E-EED7-4747-8735-3A52DC95CD83-5622-00000B635DB840E4.jpg

I found using a washing up bowl on floor level easiest with plenty of towels around to catch all the splashed water. Also safer if the rabbit happens to wriggle away from you.

I just use warm water, hold the bunny upright against my tummy and just dip the bum in the water and rub and rinse.

It's important to make sure bunny is totally dry before putting them back outside.

I found using a washing up bowl on floor level easiest with plenty of towels around to catch all the splashed water. Also safer if the rabbit happens to wriggle away from you.

I just use warm water, hold the bunny upright against my tummy and just dip the bum in the water and rub and rinse.

It's important to make sure bunny is totally dry before putting them back outside.

All this is how I do it. I do use a smidge of P@H rabbit shampoo but warm water on its own should loosen any stuck poo.

Remember, only bath your rabbit if they are unable to clean themselves. I'd recommend visiting a vet to see if you can find the root of the problem as well :)

Hi all thanks for your replies :) he's fine went to the vets he has a hutch run combo still gets all day in a larger run, in this bad weather he has been weeing in the run and has sat on a wee :-( clipped the fur away and is fine he don't need a bun bath.

Back