• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Look he might be mine excited now

OMG he is absolutely adorable. He looks like a toy rabbit actually, and so cuddly :love: I really do hope you do take him on, and I'm really excited now waiting to hear how it goes. If you do, will he be indoors or outdoors? What is his name?

this name is thumper and he will be an indoor rabbit, he is outside at the min but hasn't got very much protection from the weather and I have a large pen set up already in the house

he needs handling as the woman's children are scared of him, so it will be back to basics, if there any guides on this ?

http://i909.photobucket.com/albums/ac293/kayaksteph/FrenchLop_zps7c6f9e15.jpg

This bun might be mine, going to see him on Saturday, he is 18 months old neutered buck, he had a run in with another male, the lady saved his life but her children are scared of him, so he might be mine, lady is keeping him for me until I view him. I will be his third home if he comes with me, I am excited now.:D

Don't want to pour cold water - but if her children are scared of him, is there a reason for this, and how do you think yours will react?

my eldest tames hamsters and is very used to animals as is my youngest its the size of the rabbit that is scaring her children (nursery children) my children are used to dogs like bullmastiffs so they aren't scared of big animals. It is the middle child that I will have to watch but I am wanting the rabbit for me not them and it will just take time to tame him, the kids will be aware of that, as they are with the hamsters which can give a very nasty bite.

You can't actually tame rabbits. You have to take things very slowly until they learn to trust you and accept you, but really everything is on their terms.

You can't actually tame rabbits. You have to take things very slowly until they learn to trust you and accept you, but really everything is on their terms.

This^

Handling them/picking them up doesn't help with gaining trust as they are prey animals and like to keep all 4 paws on the ground.

The rabbit needs time to settle in first, then you can sit with him and let him come to you. Never force it otherwise you'll have to start from the beginning again. They're not like hamsters in the sense that the constant handling will help them get better. I only ever pick my rabbits up to put them in their carrier if they're going to the vets. I do health checks on the floor, just lift their front up so their 'standing', so I don't stress them out.

Edit- I'm not being rude, or trying to be, just making you aware, I don't know if you've changed it or not :) If the space you have inside is still the 5x3 then for a French lop I think it will need to be much bigger, even if it is just for overnight which is when they are most active. Although for settling in time I think it would be okay.

Last edited:
you have just describe that I am intending on doing, I don't want a rabbit to pick up and cuddle, I know it will take time and I intend on working on the rabbits terms. What I ment by taming is being able to walk next to the pen with out the rabbit running off or calling the rabbits name and him to come to me, not sit and cuddle him, in time yes it would be nice,

I think, though, that if your children already know how to respect animals in their own right then it should not be too much of an issue. You just want to lay some ground rules such as no picking up etc. and build on them. Once bun starts to get used to the environment then you can start building up trust, which will be based around him remaining firmly on the ground as much as possible! :lol:

Edited to add: He is so cute! :love:

Last edited:
He plays with the ladies children but he grunts and thumps his feet so the children are scared of him doing that but he plays in the garden with them.

Great news. Glad that you are getting to see him.

I will jump in at this point and help. The kids(Thumpers owners) are very timid kids and have had/still do have major problems in their lives.
If they get scared they will not go near it again. They have had this problem with food ec.

I know that with the right care that thumper will get easier.

Good luck lillylau. :thumb:

its great your providing a home for this bunny, no matter what his personality, time and patience which im sure you will have and can build slowly on this with thumper, and you children can be part of it and learn with you at the same time, and you've always got the forum to fall back on for advice ;)

look forward to hearing more in the future on how he settles etc

I think it sounds like your kids will be fine! :thumb: If they are used to respecting an animal's space, they won't have an issue.

As others have said, give him time, and don't be offended if he doesn't want to be cuddly, bunnies are very PARTICULAR about who they deem worthy of interacting with. ;)

I hope all goes well with the meet, he's LOVELY.

:love::love:

Best of luck with meeting Thumper. Wise move having him as your rabbit that the children can be around.

Hi lillylau :wave: oooooo, exciting news, really hope Saturday visit goes well and bunny finds himself in his lovely, new forever home. :love: Hopefully we will see lots of piccies? * hint hint hint* :lol:

Back