• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunnies and Building work

Georgeypudding

Wise Old Thumper
We're considering extending out the back of our house, if we do the rabbits won't be able to stay in their shed/run as it's down the side of the house so they'll be in the middle of all the work being done. My bedroom is at the front of the house so furthist away from the building work but would you think that'd be enough? There will be walls coming down, the patio will have to come up I guess and concrete going down and a lot of work done inside the house but at the back.

Would you keep your bunnies at home or would you find them somewhere else to live while it's all going on?

I've got 4 cats and a dog to sort out as well, I might move out with the animals until it's over :lol:

it would be very noisy I suppose, it depends on how well your bunnies react to noise etc, if there likely to get frightened maybe best having them somewhere else to stay until the work is done

Herbie & Inca stayed in their bedroom near the kitchen when we were getting it completely stripped out, we also got an external wall taken out to get patio doors. There was loads of noise!

They were both fine :)

I agree it depends on the bunnies and how easily they get stressed and how they react to stress. If they are easily upset and go into stasis for example, I would move them out, if they are laid back ond don't get easily upset I would leave them in your room.

I'm having my bathroom completely re-done at the moment, must be very noisy in the day, buns will be able to hear everything, they have not been affected at all (so far, fingers crossed), when I get home their main concern is still dinner time :lol:

We've had people stripping out the flat above us - and the noise has been horrendous - drilling, banging, dropping stuff! I was worried about our buns especially Bobo who thinks the sky is about to fall on his head at the best of times - but they were all absolutly fine - to look at them you wouldn't think there was the most awful racket happening above their heads. Even baby Bug has been fine.:thumb:

hmm they coped with the incredible thunderstorm we had (it was directly over the house for about 10mins) and bonfire night doesn't bother them but thats all the loud noise they have ever really dealt with. I might line something up just incase they don't cope with it all, if we do it at all :lol:

When we were having the shed converted and their run built, Willow and Nettle were outside next to it all and they were fine. I'm sure they would rather it hadn't been happening, but it was a necessary evil or they'd still be in the chicken coop.

When we had cavity insulation put in they were fine until the workmen had to cut out a big hole for the vent. Smudge and Nutmeg HATED it. I had to put them in the car and drove a little way down the road until they'd finished. Ours are concrete walls though so they had to use a special type of hammer which was very noisy.

I have damp patches (not actually damp now but obv were at some point in the past) in two corners of my living room (aka Jaffa & Ren's room) and am worried they will need some serious work to fix them. No idea where the buns would go while it was being done though. I might have to move out of my bedroom and sleep in the spare room and let them have my bedroom with the mattress off the bed (since I've heard so much about beds being inviting toilets).

I hope you manage to sort something out for all your pets. It sounds awfully stressful though.

Back