PDA

View Full Version : should I go for these rabbits

lillylau
18-09-2013, 12:06 PM
I am looking for a rabbit or a bonded rabbit, I have applied to some adds I have seen, and with help from a nice forum member we both came across a ad for 2 male bonded bunnies they are Only young one was born in May the other in June they have been together 3 months with no problem, I know they will need to be done, She wanted a payment for them when I first contacted her but now she said I could have them for free. Should I go or them ?

Babsie
18-09-2013, 12:19 PM
Have you seen them?

lillylau
18-09-2013, 12:33 PM
I have seen pictures of them, I know its not the same but I like the look of them and they are both dwarf lops. I am unsure at the min, I went to see some French lops but they were kept in dirty conditions with dog poo all around them. Very sad and I felt like reporting the women to the RSPCA but I don't want any trouble.

Kayaksteph
18-09-2013, 12:44 PM
I no that you are kinda looking for a pair but i have not long put up a thread for a rabbit i think in your area.

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?401258-Friend-needing-help-for-rehome-in-Bishop-Auckland-Co-Durham

esupi
18-09-2013, 12:49 PM
Aw did you decide against getting Oreo?

Ailstar
18-09-2013, 12:51 PM
I would definitely go and see them first. The pictures might not be an accurate representation of what they look like now. I wouldn't buy or reserve any animal online without going to see them, and have a chat to the person who is selling them.

lillylau
18-09-2013, 12:58 PM
I don't think We are right for Oreo its such a shame as I really like the look of him, he can he snappy and I have a child of 3 and a disabled child so he just isn't right for us.

Georgeypudding
18-09-2013, 01:00 PM
go and visit first, preferably alone so that you can go away saying you need to chat with your partner and then take him the second time around

lillylau
18-09-2013, 01:02 PM
I always do that, I never now decide there and then learnt the hard way about that

esupi
18-09-2013, 01:03 PM
I don't think We are right for Oreo its such a shame as I really like the look of him, he can he snappy and I have a child of 3 and a disabled child so he just isn't right for us.

Aw you'd never think that - he looks like such a big softie!

I don't really know what to advise about these other two though I'm afraid. Presumably they are not from a rescue so you wouldn't have the backup/support that you would if you adopted from a rescue.
I don't know if it's the same for boys but my sisters started fighting once their hormones kicked in - I think I would be wary of adopting a pair who were not already neutered/spayed personally just because I remember how much hassle it was getting them through that.

lillylau
18-09-2013, 01:07 PM
Thank you esupi that is what I really worried about, I would be at a loss as I am very new to rabbits and it might just be to much stress for me as I am recovering from mental health problems.

tulsi
18-09-2013, 01:12 PM
Aw you'd never think that - he looks like such a big softie!

I don't really know what to advise about these other two though I'm afraid. Presumably they are not from a rescue so you wouldn't have the backup/support that you would if you adopted from a rescue.
I don't know if it's the same for boys but my sisters started fighting once their hormones kicked in - I think I would be wary of adopting a pair who were not already neutered/spayed personally just because I remember how much hassle it was getting them through that.

Agree. Getting a bonded pair from a rescue is SOOOOO much easier. (I have done both. My petshop boys, together from babies had a massive falling out just after being neutered, both rescue pairs are finey fine fine).

Sam and Truffs
18-09-2013, 01:17 PM
I've just gone through it again with Willow and Nettle and I have to agree, if I were choosing a pair of rabbits I'd definitely get them ready-neutered and bonded from a rescue.