• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Am I mean for not cuddling my buns???

moi

Mama Doe
Benji and Bunny will tolerate being lifted for cuddles, but PEggy and Tonic you have to chase them around for 10 mins before getting hold of them, and they will jump off as soon as they can. Am I mean for not perservering or should I try and pick them up every day so they get used to it. They are rescue buns and didnt have mich human interaction before going to the rescue x

Doughnut doesn't like being picked up so I cuddle her on the floor. She jumps on my lap for treats so I have more cuddles then. I would just build up the bond with them by hand feeding them, then they will come to you and you can give them strokes and progress from there.

My boys don't especially like cuddles, although they are happy for me to sit by them and stroke them. But when I take them to the vets they are good as gold, and they say they must be well handled :lol:

Lady Jane, on the other hand, loves snuggling on anyones lap for a cuddle :)

I know a lot of people on here don't 'cuddle' their buns as their buns don't like it, but honestly I have no experience of this type of bun. Both mine are cuddle buns, when I got them they obviously didn't know me as well but I cuddle them every evening/weekend and they are getting more and more relaxed. Today I had both of them on my lap at the same time and Levi fell asleep (after some pretty extensive hand/face licking, he seems to think I don't shower enough!) and daisy was cuddled up next to him and then started grooming him whilst still sat on me. They could easily jump off me if they wanted to, the chair is no higher than the roof of their mini hutch in their run that they jump on and off all the time. I guess it just depends on the bun, it might be they don't like cuddles because they aren't used to them, but in that case I'd probably just sit on the floor and wait for them to come to you, there isn't much point plonking them on your lap if they just jump straight off.

I have three buns in my care and only 1 will let me pick him up and squish him. He doesn't like it but he tolerates it lol. I would say most buns shouldn't be picked up and cuddled...rabbits generally hate it. Showing a rabbit you love them is easy, give them nose rubs and kisses on their nose. Rabbits show they love another rabbit by resting their chin on the other rabbits' head...you could try this, if you wanted. :lol:

I have three buns in my care and only 1 will let me pick him up and squish him. He doesn't like it but he tolerates it lol. I would say most buns shouldn't be picked up and cuddled...rabbits generally hate it. Showing a rabbit you love them is easy, give them nose rubs and kisses on their nose. Rabbits show they love another rabbit by resting their chin on the other rabbits' head...you could try this, if you wanted. :lol:

Yes Doughnut loves kisses up her nose. Once she kisses me she then puts her head down to receive hers. I kiss her up from the bottom of her nose to her forehead and keep doing this. Her head drops lower with her chin on the ground, her eyes shut and then I get the happy chatter.

I'd love to pick her up and give her a big cuddle and have her on my lap snuggling in every evening, but that's what I want, not what she wants!

I say listen to what they tell you, if they are making it clear they don't like it and there isn't a good reason for it then I wouldn't do it! I don't pick my two up except for when I have to, one is more friendly than the other and loves floor cuddles and the other will happily jump on me but doesn't like to be fussed much so I just respect that and don't force myself on him and I think he is getting slowly more friendly because of this :wave:

Yes Doughnut loves kisses up her nose. Once she kisses me she then puts her head down to receive hers. I kiss her up from the bottom of her nose to her forehead and keep doing this. Her head drops lower with her chin on the ground, her eyes shut and then I get the happy chatter.

I'd love to pick her up and give her a big cuddle and have her on my lap snuggling in every evening, but that's what I want, not what she wants!

Exactly! :thumb: Bunnies generally like their 4 feet firmly planted on the ground. :lol:

Aww Doughnut. :love: Fiver does this. He jumps into bed with me and snuggles up next to me and shoves his nose in my face for nose kisses and ear rubs. :love:

Exactly! :thumb: Bunnies generally like their 4 feet firmly planted on the ground. :lol:

Aww Doughnut. :love: Fiver does this. He jumps into bed with me and snuggles up next to me and shoves his nose in my face for nose kisses and ear rubs. :love:

Ah it is cute but it's all one way with Doughnut. I get about 3 kisses then head down and I could be crouching on the floor for 5 minutes or a lot longer if she had her way! I like seeing her eyes shut though and hear the chatter. It's just not that comfortable for me. There again I am only here to please her.

My Stu will be picked up and cuddled I give him little kisses from his nose to the back of his ears and back again I make a tutting noise nor say nom nom while I do it :oops:

I know he likes it cos he does the tooth purr :love:

The other two definitely do not like being picked up, kicking and panicking but they will accept nose rubs now, even willingly asking:)

But if they need the vet they need to be used to being picked up,and held so I keep making sure that every time I do manage to pic the, up they get a good treat after so it's not all a bad memory;)

Eventually I hope they get that if they let me pick them up they will get a treat so understand that it's not thT bad :?

Last edited:
Peggy does like to have a stroke on her head and kisses. Tonic just doesnt like humans full stop! lol x

Jasmine was a licky, cuddle bun, Schumi was fine one you had him but would prefer not to thank you very much, and Eddie used to get SO stressed if you eventually caught him (King of the Cheeky Binky), it just wasn't fair. He wasn't a people bun at all!

If they're happy, well fed, well cared for, entertained, they don't need cuddles. How are they supposed to carry out their plans for world domination when they're being cuddled? :roll::lol:

They're just being rabbits, and that's an awesome thing to be.

:love:

Like most people have said, it depends on what "kind" of bunny you have.

My two are don't mind being picked up as they have always been picked up from day one.

My children picks them up everyday and play with them in the run all the time so I guess they're just used to it. They're quite happy sitting there and have a cuddle. It's quite funny sometime seeing the kids sitting down with their legs stretched out and the bunnies using them as hurdles as they play.

I try and go in the run at least once a day and to be honest, I don't tend to pick them up as much. They prefer to jump on my lap and go to sleep!

Can Doughnut get any more adorable? Just as I think she can't, she does! Awwww happy Doughnut getting kisses and making happy noises :love::love::love: so heart melting to imagine :D

Ah it is cute but it's all one way with Doughnut. I get about 3 kisses then head down and I could be crouching on the floor for 5 minutes or a lot longer if she had her way! I like seeing her eyes shut though and hear the chatter. It's just not that comfortable for me. There again I am only here to please her.

:lol: Yup, we're just the big ungainly slaves that bring food and occasional unpleasantness of going in noisy moving things and then taken to see another big ungainly thing that does nasty things to them when they're already feeling rubbish, or they weren't, but they do now they've been prodded, poked and stabbed! Then it's back in the noisy moving thing before they can escape to their bed :lol:

April was a rescue rabbit who was extremely nervous and thumped every time a human approached her when we got her. She has improved a lot now, she will come over to us, and she will eat out of our hand but she still doesn't and probably never will let us cuddle her. She won't even tolerate a stroke, she just runs off if I try to touch her. And she HATES being picked up. It stresses her out so much that I feel bad for doing it, so I try not to pick her up often.

Rupert on the other hand, I can put on my bed and stroke his head and he will probably lie down for a while to be stroked.

:lol: Yup, we're just the big ungainly slaves that bring food and occasional unpleasantness of going in noisy moving things and then taken to see another big ungainly thing that does nasty things to them when they're already feeling rubbish, or they weren't, but they do now they've been prodded, poked and stabbed! Then it's back in the noisy moving thing before they can escape to their bed :lol:

:lol::lol::lol:

Absolutly agree!

I would be seriously worried if any of our 5 buns would tolerate being cuddled - it would mean that they are sick:(. They will grant a stroke to their humans if the human can get them whilst they are running past or if they are a bit tired or distracted by food (either begging or eating) - but that's it....and I still love them to bits the little :censored::love::love::love:

Harry hates being picked up. Hates it. But once you actually have him in a position where you can cuddle him, he loves it. I'm hoping that his castration will calm him down a bit more!

None of mine even like being stroked (on the ground) despite fenugreek crunchie bribery ... I keep trying though.

:lol::lol::lol:

Absolutly agree!

I would be seriously worried if any of our 5 buns would tolerate being cuddled - it would mean that they are sick:(. They will grant a stroke to their humans if the human can get them whilst they are running past or if they are a bit tired or distracted by food (either begging or eating) - but that's it....and I still love them to bits the little :censored::love::love::love:

Of course you do, where else would we get stamped at or bitten on a daily basis :lol:

Saying that, my Slipper has gotten so much better recently, I'm so proud of him :love: He now allows me to pick him up and cuddle him and today was the first time ever I was able to stick my fingers through the bars and stroke his head. Normally he bites so you'd never catch me doing that :lol: he put his teeth on my fingertips a couple of times, but didn't chomp down so it didn't hurt and yes I was a bit nervous, but he was so good :love: he even chinned them a couple of times. :love: I don't even have to risk life and limb feeding him anymore, I'm so proud of my baby boy :love:

Back