• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Advice please poops vet u/d

Willowsmum

Mama Doe
Just noticed willow has quite runny poops, nothing has changed at all.

He has been drinking more than usual tonight, now seems to be having little leaks, I'm not sure if its coming from back end or winky??!

He seems ok in himself, eating loads of hay. But what do I feed him tonight? Normally he would have fresh food and pellets?? I've never known him have runny poops. Help

Last edited:
I would get him to the vets asap and just give him hay tonight. Runny poop can be very serious in a rabbit.

Could you take a photo of them as there are lots of people on here who are poop experts!!

Is it the caecal poops you are seeing or the normal poops which are now runny?

I would get him to the vets asap and just give him hay tonight. Runny poop can be very serious in a rabbit.

Could you take a photo of them as there are lots of people on here who are poop experts!!

Is it the caecal poops you are seeing or the normal poops which are now runny?

Oh god, what get to vet tonight? Ill take pic

If he is OK otherwise then I would wait until the morning but monitor what poop is coming out. Are there normal ones too? If he is eating a lot of hay then he seems OK but runny isn't good.

About an hour ago there was normal poops loads of them but at the end is when the runny ones stared, now it's just the running ones, bit like grapes stuck together

It looks to be the cecotropes. They smell and look like grapes. Did you give him something new earlier in the day or has he had a lot of pellets or fresh veg? Rabbits normally get this when they have too high protein in their diet or if you have given them something new and they aren't used to it.

I would just give him hay now and see how he is in the morning. Since he has done normal ones as well I wouldn't panic.

Doughnut used to do lots of these until I got her diet right as I was told to give her unlimited pellets when she was little, once I had cut them back a bit she was fine and only normal poops.

I just can't thank you enough for replying :thumb:

If I out my head on his back I can hear his noisy tummy. But he's still grooming me, getting cross with toys and stuff (very usual) eating hay, washing etc. do you think he will be ok tonight? I might keep him inside with me? Ill sleep downstairs with him?

Everything is the same, the only tiny difference is he had dried calendula leaves BUT he has fresh calendula flowers from the garden most days so I can't see it would make much difference?? And he has a very small amount before? It's the only thing I can think of??

I'm no poo expert but it looks like caecotrophs to me! I think he'll be ok overnight jus keep a close eye on him :thumb: hope he feels better soon :D

I just can't thank you enough for replying :thumb:

If I out my head on his back I can hear his noisy tummy. But he's still grooming me, getting cross with toys and stuff (very usual) eating hay, washing etc. do you think he will be ok tonight? I might keep him inside with me? Ill sleep downstairs with him?

Everything is the same, the only tiny difference is he had dried calendula leaves BUT he has fresh calendula flowers from the garden most days so I can't see it would make much difference?? And he has a very small amount before? It's the only thing I can think of??

If nothing has changed then I'd say his tum is not working right. Keep an eye on him, rabbits won't eat cecals that smell "off" or even a tiny bit "wrong". Hopefully he will start eating them again, but if not, pop him to the vet to rule out any tummy problems and then adjust his diet. :thumb:

I'm no poo expert but it looks like caecotrophs to me! I think he'll be ok overnight jus keep a close eye on him :thumb: hope he feels better soon :D

Is it?! Why though :( what does that mean?, I've got myself in a pickle, I'm all stressed about it :shock::roll:

Do you give him a lot of pellets or veg?

It won't do him any harm to be on hay for a day and then monitor his poops. You shouldn't see the cecotropes on just hay. Rabbits normally eat them straight from their bums so we don't see them around. It's only when they have had something rich or a change of food too quickly that they are noticed unless they are ill. Because you've had normal poops and it isn't diarrhea I think he is fine and you can tell if he is acting normal or in pain.

If nothing has changed then I'd say his tum is not working right. Keep an eye on him, rabbits won't eat cecals that smell "off" or even a tiny bit "wrong". Hopefully he will start eating them again, but if not, pop him to the vet to rule out any tummy problems and then adjust his diet. :thumb:

Thanks vegan bunny! :thumb: yeh he was trying to eat them, he ate some. God I've gone into worried, panic mode:oops: I'm one of those mums who takes baby to docs when they sneeze aren't I :shock:

Do you give him a lot of pellets or veg?

It won't do him any harm to be on hay for a day and then monitor his poops. You shouldn't see the cecotropes on just hay. Rabbits normally eat them straight from their bums so we don't see them around. It's only when they have had something rich or a change of food too quickly that they are noticed unless they are ill. Because you've had normal poops and it isn't diarrhea I think he is fine and you can tell if he is acting normal or in pain.

Yeh he's doesn't seem in pain or anything, he has got a noisy tummy though :shock:

He has a very careful measured diet (after having two really bad blockages) so I don't really change anything now cause I'm so worried. He as 1 tblspoon pellets morn and night (he won't be impressed tonight ) and then the same old fresh stuff morn and night

What about the little leaks??? :shock:

It's probably because he isn't eating them, although Xena often gets this. I think it's just that his tum is a bit upset at the moment and the cecals are coming out a bit runnier than normal. Xena often leaves little circles of brown liquid where she has been sat eating her cecals. She also gets a noisy tum and is on probiotic pellets for it, she has been much better with her tum recently. Any small change to her diet causes excess cecals and noisy rumblings...she just has a sensitive tum, and by the sounds of it, Willow does too.

I'm not sure what they are, do you know where they are coming from?

If you are concerned I would take him to the vets in the morning but he doesn't seem to be in pain so it isn't an emergency. Just get him checked over and ask about the leaks. It's worth it to put your mind at rest. I don't think you need to call up now though as he seems fine.

Thank you :love:
Thank you :thumb:
Thank you :thumb:

I'm sure if this was someone else's thread and I read it I would be thinking its nothing to worry about, but when it's your own (and he was so close to death in the summer twice :shock:) it's panic stations. He just means so much to me :love:

I'm not going to bed until he poops again, I still might keep him in and sleep downstairs with him ;)

Back