• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

'Borderline Dental' buns needing help!!!

chloemurray

Warren Veteran
Basically I've been looking at rescue buns to possibly bond with Nahla and one of my friends from RU (jackaroonie) was telling me about a rescue he's adopted from in the past.

I want to start by saying the lady who runs it is clearly lovely and loves the rabbits, but basically (I'm guessing due to finances and lack of adoptions) she often has to have bunnies put to sleep who show potential signs of dental disease, even if it's only borderline.

There are currently four bunnies facing a one-way vet trip... A bonded pair of mini lops, and two single mini lop girls. I'd love to take on the pair but don't have the space. They are all absolutely gorgeous so I'm posting on here to appeal to anyone who might be able to take them on.... A sanctuary or another rescue maybe, or someone who might just want to rehome them?

I won't post a link in case I'm not allowed but I'll send it to anyone who pm's me wanting to know more. It's so sad :(

this has been discussed before and a very sad situation
We DO NOT put to sleep dental bunnies and a lot of rescues don't, some do but keep quiet about it
The rescue Jack knows admits they do and when it was highlighted before many members jumped on the lady and gave her a real hard time
but, the lady pointed out that she had several dental rabbits and if any of the people criticising her wanted to adopt one they could..of course no one stepped forward.
With the numbers of all types of pet being discarded rescues just cannot cope, decisions like this are left to those that clear up others mess.
So yes if anyone on here can take on a dental rabbit do step up, and when these have found homes we, and I'm sure other rescues, have dental buns patiently waiting for a home :(
and well done Chloe for highlighting them

this has been discussed before and a very sad situation
We DO NOT put to sleep dental bunnies and a lot of rescues don't, some do but keep quiet about it
The rescue Jack knows admits they do and when it was highlighted before many members jumped on the lady and gave her a real hard time
but, the lady pointed out that she had several dental rabbits and if any of the people criticising her wanted to adopt one they could..of course no one stepped forward.
With the numbers of all types of pet being discarded rescues just cannot cope, decisions like this are left to those that clear up others mess.
So yes if anyone on here can take on a dental rabbit do step up, and when these have found homes we, and I'm sure other rescues, have dental buns patiently waiting for a home :(
and well done Chloe for highlighting them

Aww see yes I said to jack I can understand her decision but think there are people who would want to help, which is why I said I'd put a post on here. Had no idea people had given her a hard time before :(

I'm only a student so can't afford to take on another pair when I'm trying to pair up my single girl anyway, and my girl doesn't get on with other females so I couldn't even take on one of the single does :( makes you feel very useless and I applaud all the rescues that do such hard work!

That's awful! :cry: :cry: Why take in more buns if she can't afford to help the rabbits she has. I don't think there is any excuse to have a rabbit put down for minor problems. If you run a rescue, you take on this responsibility.

That's awful! :cry: :cry: Why take in more buns if she can't afford to help the rabbits she has. I don't think there is any excuse to have a rabbit put down for minor problems. If you run a rescue, you take on this responsibility.
It is very sad and i made the decision that we would not put to sleep for medical reasons, but at times over the years we have built up so many dental and/or problem rabbits that we have had hardly any space for others.
If you choose to run a rescue then the policies are up to you and you do not "take on this responsibility" you choose to try to help where you can and how you wish to.
The pts policy on dentals is not one we want to use but what does this rescue do when it is full of dental rabbits than no one will adopt and they are getting calls every day to take in more? As I said above the lady got quite a bit of abuse over it before but those who criticised her did not offer homes to the rabbits in question and had not adopted rabbits with problems before.
I don't neccessarily agree with her policy but I can understand it.

It is very sad and i made the decision that we would not put to sleep for medical reasons, but at times over the years we have built up so many dental and/or problem rabbits that we have had hardly any space for others.
If you choose to run a rescue then the policies are up to you and you do not "take on this responsibility" you choose to try to help where you can and how you wish to.
The pts policy on dentals is not one we want to use but what does this rescue do when it is full of dental rabbits than no one will adopt and they are getting calls every day to take in more? As I said above the lady got quite a bit of abuse over it before but those who criticised her did not offer homes to the rabbits in question and had not adopted rabbits with problems before.
I don't neccessarily agree with her policy but I can understand it.

:thumb: good post

I don't know of the person we're talking about (although I do remember the past debate about it) but I don't think it's fair for people to be harsh to her. it's a hard situation and I'm sure she doesn't like it anymore than anyone else does.
I do hope the poor buns can find homes though!

I'm amazed the RSPCA didn't euthanise Scarlet. Equally they did not tell us she was a dental bun and as I've said before, had we known I can't honestly say whether we would have taken her on. Having done so though, and seeing the difference in her to when we first adopted her I would say that if you can afford to take on a dental bun it is very rewarding. To see her chomping away on hay that she couldn't eat before fills me with joy every day. She's cost us around £2500 in two and a half years and we've not had a holiday since we adopted her, but that's a small sacrifice when compared to the difference we have made to one special little bunny's life.
I would never criticise a rescue for making the decision to pts. Dental buns are expensive, difficult to rehome and the majority of households don't have the money to take them on and sadly the homes that could afford it won't necessarily be prepared to take on a rabbit that is realistically going to cost hundreds of pounds per year. It's tragic, but it's true.

What does seem sad, is that bunnies labelled as 'borderline' dental buns could actually be absolutely fine. I've now had two vets tell me two of my bunnies have spurs and may need a dental. One of them was about 1.5 years ago, he told me Sweep would need a dental within the next 6 months. 1.5 years later and guess what, my new and very much trusted exotics vet says that his teeth are just perfect. The other vet told me Jessie had spurs and needed a dental. 6 months later when she went for her vaccines it would appear that the spur had worn back down.

So thats two bunnies, which would probably be referred to as 'borderline' dental bunnies, absolutely fine and neither have actually had any dentals!

It might be just a slight change of diet needed. Some smaller spurs can just be worn down by encouraging more hay eating.

What does seem sad, is that bunnies labelled as 'borderline' dental buns could actually be absolutely fine. I've now had two vets tell me two of my bunnies have spurs and may need a dental. One of them was about 1.5 years ago, he told me Sweep would need a dental within the next 6 months. 1.5 years later and guess what, my new and very much trusted exotics vet says that his teeth are just perfect. The other vet told me Jessie had spurs and needed a dental. 6 months later when she went for her vaccines it would appear that the spur had worn back down.

So thats two bunnies, which would probably be referred to as 'borderline' dental bunnies, absolutely fine and neither have actually had any dentals!

It might be just a slight change of diet needed. Some smaller spurs can just be worn down by encouraging more hay eating.

This is why I was concerned. One of my bunnies has potential to have dental problems because her face is quite squished up... BUT with a good diet she hasn't had any trouble and these bunnies could be exactly the same if they could only find a home.

The pair of mini lops have been adopted according to the site (its one I like to look at from time to time).

My mini lop is a dental rabbit. The rescue did not tell me he had tooth spurs (they may not have known). He and Peaches also had really long nails ... any way he is with me now and I love him. Not sure that I would have taken him had I known about the spurs ... tricky.

The main issue I have is that some buns just need a one off dental. I'd be surprised if a neglected bunny DIDN'T need a dental at some point in it's life. The problem is that these rabbits that are "borderline" dental buns, probably aren't and it's all down to their crappy lives previously and not having the proper diet. I could understand with chronic dental buns, buns with tooth root issues or ones that need 6 weekly dentals etc.

The rabbit I took in was "borderline" on needing a dental...and the vet confirmed that it was probably diet related. She had her teeth burred during her spey and she has been fine since. She would have been pts under the rules of this rescue, and that is just not fair. :cry:

It is up to the rescue to at least try with these buns. Yes, they have their own policies etc, but nearly all bunnies will need a dental at some point. Fiver has had a perfect diet since he was 9 weeks old and he needs a dental about every 8 months-a year. I've had 4 buns and 3 have needed dental work, I am expecting Xena to need a dental eventually. I'm sorry but I can't understand why any rescue would put a rabbit down just because they need a dental. :?

I'm amazed the RSPCA didn't euthanise Scarlet. Equally they did not tell us she was a dental bun and as I've said before, had we known I can't honestly say whether we would have taken her on. Having done so though, and seeing the difference in her to when we first adopted her I would say that if you can afford to take on a dental bun it is very rewarding. To see her chomping away on hay that she couldn't eat before fills me with joy every day. She's cost us around £2500 in two and a half years and we've not had a holiday since we adopted her, but that's a small sacrifice when compared to the difference we have made to one special little bunny's life.
I would never criticise a rescue for making the decision to pts. Dental buns are expensive, difficult to rehome and the majority of households don't have the money to take them on and sadly the homes that could afford it won't necessarily be prepared to take on a rabbit that is realistically going to cost hundreds of pounds per year. It's tragic, but it's true.

:love: This is lovely. Sadly, I suspect most people would not see improving one little bunny's life as more rewarding than 2.5 years of holidays :(

The main issue I have is that some buns just need a one off dental. I'd be surprised if a neglected bunny DIDN'T need a dental at some point in it's life. The problem is that these rabbits that are "borderline" dental buns, probably aren't and it's all down to their crappy lives previously and not having the proper diet. I could understand with chronic dental buns, buns with tooth root issues or ones that need 6 weekly dentals etc.

The rabbit I took in was "borderline" on needing a dental...and the vet confirmed that it was probably diet related. She had her teeth burred during her spey and she has been fine since. She would have been pts under the rules of this rescue, and that is just not fair. :cry:

It is up to the rescue to at least try with these buns. Yes, they have their own policies etc, but nearly all bunnies will need a dental at some point. Fiver has had a perfect diet since he was 9 weeks old and he needs a dental about every 8 months-a year. I've had 4 buns and 3 have needed dental work, I am expecting Xena to need a dental eventually. I'm sorry but I can't understand why any rescue would put a rabbit down just because they need a dental. :?

I dont think it is fare to judge. Rescues do not have a bottomless pit of funds. Dental treatment is expensive. The Rescue wont know if a 'one off' Dental will be all that is needed until a considerable amount of time has elapsed after the initial Dental. So what do they do, rehome the Rabbit informing prospective adopters about the possibility of future Dental problems. Not many people will willingly adopt a 'possibly Dental Rabbit'
Re-home the Rabbit and not mention the possibility of Dental problems- highly unethical and could result in a lot of suffering for the Rabbit in the longterm.

Or have the initial Dental done and then keep the Rabbit for 3-6 months to see if more problems occur. Hence blocking a space which could be used for 3,4,5 more Rabbits during the 3-6 months.

The fact is that there are too many unwanted Pet Rabbits and not enough space in Rescue to cater for them. I dont like the idea of Rabbit's being euthanised due to Dental problems, but in reality it is the only option in some situations. I am not in a position to knowingly take on a Dental Rabbit so I am certainly not going to castigate someone who is trying to do their best and looking at the 'bigger picture'.

I dont think it is fare to judge. Rescues do not have a bottomless pit of funds. Dental treatment is expensive. The Rescue wont know if a 'one off' Dental will be all that is needed until a considerable amount of time has elapsed after the initial Dental. So what do they do, rehome the Rabbit informing prospective adopters about the possibility of future Dental problems. Not many people will willingly adopt a 'possibly Dental Rabbit'
Re-home the Rabbit and not mention the possibility of Dental problems- highly unethical and could result in a lot of suffering for the Rabbit in the longterm.

Or have the initial Dental done and then keep the Rabbit for 3-6 months to see if more problems occur. Hence blocking a space which could be used for 3,4,5 more Rabbits during the 3-6 months.

The fact is that there are too many unwanted Pet Rabbits and not enough space in Rescue to cater for them. I dont like the idea of Rabbit's being euthanised due to Dental problems, but in reality it is the only option in some situations. I am not in a position to knowingly take on a Dental Rabbit so I am certainly not going to castigate someone who is trying to do their best and looking at the 'bigger picture'.

Totally agree.

I for one would never adopt a dental rabbit. I just couldn't cope with it again.

If someone adopted a rabbit who went on to have dental problems, what if they didn't notice and the rabbit suffered? What if they couldn't afford the long term treatment and the rabbit had to go back to the rescue?

What if the dental rabbits sat in the rescue for months and months, maybe even years because no one wanted to take on a pet that might have long term health issues? If those rabbits weren't there, the rescue could have potentially saved so many other rabbits.

It's a horrible and hard decision to make but no one has the right to judge a rescue for these sorts of decisions.

It's sadly a matter of many lives over a few. Or trying to do the best in a bad situation. And with 30 000+ rabbits in rescues it is a bad situation. People try and do their best in their own way.

Given what we do is at the complete opposite end of the spectrum so to speak, while I can complete understand why the rescue does what it does I can't accept it personally.

While of course many rabbits who are neglected develop awful dental problems as a result, I think it is also true that many healthy and well loved rabbits will develop the odd spur or two in their lifetime. Therefore if you choose to take in rabbits then you do have a responsibility to get them some veterinary dental care rather than give up in the first instance, in my opinion.

Also I believe rescues especially high profile ones are the public face of rabbits, their care and welfare. So it concerns me that if it is well known that these rabbits are not given treatment then other owners who look to them for guidance will also think no treatment is the only option.

Like I said this is just my own personal beliefs and I can understand the reasons for not getting dental care, doesn't mean I have to agree with it though.

I hope these bunnies have now found somewhere safe to go xx

I can well understand the dilemma of not adopting a dental bunny... Ive had lots over the years, and if Im honest, wouldnt knowingly enter that sitation again.... Ive one at the moment needing dentals every 4 weeks and its so stressful for her and me also
However I did once adopt a bunny who the rescue / registered charity, knew was a life long dental bunny and knew she would never rehome him... She asked me to take him,(which i did) with full back up, with all future dentals being paid for by the rescue/charity. I had to use their vet, but at least the bunny had a loving home and i didnt have the enormous bills to worry about.

I've had a few dental bunnies - my Bridge bun Furby being the last one. I would not knowingly take on a dental bun at the moment as my finances aren't great and I need expensive treatment to be covered by insurance.

I have knowingly fostered a dental bun for Cat and Rabbit Rescue at Sidlesham. Sadly, I didn't have Justin for long as he developed an inoperable tumour but his vet bills were covered by the rescue so I was able to give him his forever home. Luckily all his vet bills were covered - but I think now they only cover those related to the condition that has led him/her to be a foster bun ie I would have had to pay for most of his fees as they weren't dental related. Not sure if I could have insured a foster bun though so that could prevent me doing it again.

Maybe rescues with 'borderline' dental buns could foster them so that the day-to-day care and expense and any other illnesses weren't draining their funds and they could then establish whether or not the bun needed regular dentals or if, with the correct diet, it was just a one-off.

Having said that, if I fostered a bun and the rescue decided that as s/he was going to be a long-term dental bun and wanted to have the bun PTS I know I couldn't let that happen - so I don't know what the answer is.

I would imagine it is an incredibly difficult decision for a rescue to have to make and is another reason why I couldn't run a rescue.

Given what we do is at the complete opposite end of the spectrum so to speak, while I can complete understand why the rescue does what it does I can't accept it personally.

While of course many rabbits who are neglected develop awful dental problems as a result, I think it is also true that many healthy and well loved rabbits will develop the odd spur or two in their lifetime. Therefore if you choose to take in rabbits then you do have a responsibility to get them some veterinary dental care rather than give up in the first instance, in my opinion.

Also I believe rescues especially high profile ones are the public face of rabbits, their care and welfare. So it concerns me that if it is well known that these rabbits are not given treatment then other owners who look to them for guidance will also think no treatment is the only option.

Like I said this is just my own personal beliefs and I can understand the reasons for not getting dental care, doesn't mean I have to agree with it though.

I hope these bunnies have now found somewhere safe to go xx

This is what I was trying to say. I may be able to understand it in some circumstances but I am by no means going to agree with it.

Many rescues seem to cope without putting down every dental bun that walks through the door, so why not this rescue? I'm sorry, but rabbits come with dental issues, just as they come with gut problems. I have had awful experiences with dental buns and dread it when my buns have to go in for dentals, but if I had the money, I would not think twice about adopting bunnies with dental problems, or other issues.
I would personally never give money to any rescue that puts down animals for minor ailments or because "they need the space". How can you justify ending one life to save another? Putting animals down for being homeless or having minor illnesses is just as bad as somebody putting their animal down because they don't want them any more. Yes the rescue situation is dire...but rescues are meant to be HELPING animals, not killing them. This rescue must put down the majority of rabbits coming through their doors if they refuse to give them dentals and that is just NOT acceptable.

This is what I was trying to say. I may be able to understand it in some circumstances but I am by no means going to agree with it.

Many rescues seem to cope without putting down every dental bun that walks through the door, so why not this rescue? I'm sorry, but rabbits come with dental issues, just as they come with gut problems. I have had awful experiences with dental buns and dread it when my buns have to go in for dentals, but if I had the money, I would not think twice about adopting bunnies with dental problems, or other issues.
I would personally never give money to any rescue that puts down animals for minor ailments or because "they need the space". How can you justify ending one life to save another? Putting animals down for being homeless or having minor illnesses is just as bad as somebody putting their animal down because they don't want them any more. Yes the rescue situation is dire...but rescues are meant to be HELPING animals, not killing them. This rescue must put down the majority of rabbits coming through their doors if they refuse to give them dentals and that is just NOT acceptable.

So will you be offering a home to the 4 'Borderline Dental' Rabbits ?

Back