• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

At the Age of Almost 7 Esther May Have to Have Her First Dental Tomorrow -ADMITTED

Jack's-Jane

Wise Old Thumper
For the last 48 hours she has been showing very subtle signs of have discomfort in her mouth. Mainly chewing on nothing and licking her lips a lot. She is still eating, perhaps a bit less hay than normal though. She will not, under any circumstances, allow me to examine inside her mouth with a scope. But I have had a feel and I cant detect any sharp points/spurs. I feel sure there is something amiss in her mouth though so she will be seeing Wendy tomorrow morning.

I have come to realise that when Rabbits get to the age of about 7-8 they can start to have tooth problems even if they had never done so before.

Poor Esther, she is not going to like her routine being disrupted :cry:

Last edited:
Poor Esther, I hope she will be ok and sail through the procedure if it comes to that. She might be more willing to be examined tomorrow, some of my buns can be like that but at the vet practice they are more nervous and willing to be held and handled by me, sadly in fear at their surroundings.

I am no expert but bridge bun Bonnie was 7 when she started to display the symptoms and did eventually need a monthly dental before it was apparent her quality of life was starting to suffer. However before that she had always been fine and had a fantastic diet rich in hay and grass. Our vet said it was definitely age related which corroborates what you have said. I couldn't believe it as her diet and siblings were all fine dental wise but that is what happened sadly :( Fingers crossed Esther won't need regular dentals.

Good luck at the vet tomorrow x

I bet she opens her mouth for the vet, just to prove that you're lying when you say she won't let you examine her :lol:. Hope she is ok though. It's never nice when they get ill :(.

Thanks everyone. I am pretty sure she will be admitted for a Dental. Her overnight poos are smaller than they should be this morning. She is absolutely fine within herself though. VERY enthusiastic about her breakfast, probably due to a lack of hay eating overnight. I wont be taking Dermot in with her. He has a chronic gut problem and any stress, eg car journeys, can easily trigger one of his 'episodes'.

As expected Esther has been admitted for a GA and full oral examination. Wendy said that there was nothing obviously amiss from a conscious examination, but of course it is impossible to obtain the full picture unless the Rabbit is anaesthetised. Given her history over the last 48 hours it is very likely that the problem will only be evident then.

Poor Esther :cry:

Esther has come through the procedure OK. Her molars were long, but no actual spurs and no soft tissue damage. Hopefully the thorough Dental will mean that she gets back to being the good hay eater she has always been. I can collect her in about an hour xx

Back