• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit drinking excessively!

Hi,

I have noticed that one of my bunnies is drinking excessive water (unfortunatly I do not know which one as - I have not noticed either one of them spending excessive amound of time a the water bottle of in the litter tray).

I have made a vets appointment for 7.30 this evening and will be taking both of them in. But does anyone know what I should expect?

Both bunnies are very happy, active and bouncy - no external signs of illness!

Quite sad a I have not had Caspian very long, and they seem to love each other soooo much....

H :)

They are likely to do blood tests including kidney function. This happened to one of my buns and it turned out to be a calcium deficiency now rectified by a daily supplement. :D

Probably a silly question but are you sure the water bottle is not leaking ?

Hope all goes well at the Vets.

Yes I have checked the water bottle. There is also an excessive amount of unrine in the litter trays - to match the drinking...

Oh bunnies are such a worry...

Hannah :)

Unfortunately it does sound like something is going on.

My Flopsy had similar symptoms as well as urinating outside of the litter tray , weight loss etc. He had bloods done and was found to have Kidney disease - this was back in May. He's on fortekor and has been responding really well. Try not to worry.

Hopefully you'll be able to find out which bun it is, are you able to separate for a day and have them side by side so you're able to observe them?

Best of luck at the vets, sending lots of vibes.

Unfortunately it does sound like something is going on.

My Flopsy had similar symptoms as well as urinating outside of the litter tray , weight loss etc. He had bloods done and was found to have Kidney disease - this was back in May. He's on fortekor and has been responding really well. Try not to worry.

Hopefully you'll be able to find out which bun it is, are you able to separate for a day and have them side by side so you're able to observe them?

Best of luck at the vets, sending lots of vibes.

He is not really utinating outside of the litter tray.

Separting them would be hard - and I'm afraid a bit of a last resort for me as they have only been together for such a short length of time.

Thanks

Hannah

New batch of hay/pellets?

Hello

I asked my vet once as one of my rabbits was drinking loads turns out it was due to the hay being a little dusty so changed it and she when back to normal or maybe they are eating more hay that would make them drink more? Also try offering a bowl I find that rabbits can get a better drink from this, when I take them in I still offer both but with in a day or 2 they stop using the bottle.

Defo worth taking them to the vets tho as could be something unlined going on, I hope not,

Keep us updated on what vet says x

Back