• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

just found a stray rabbit HELP

bunny-boo

Warren Scout
I have just found a stay rabbit whist coming home from shopping and I don't know what to do with it now? Please help I couldn't leave it by the road and it looks thin , knocked on some doors and apparently someone abandoned it 4 wks ago? What can I do?

I have just found a stay rabbit whist coming home from shopping and I don't know what to do with it now? Please help I couldn't leave it by the road and it looks thin , knocked on some doors and apparently someone abandoned it 4 wks ago? What can I do?
Can you keep it for at least tonight? Give it some food and water?. Maybe take it to local rescue tomorrow??

Poor thing :( i'd second keeping him for the night of it's possible.. he must be starving but wouldn't give him too many pellets as his tummy might be sensitive, but lots of hay and water. Hopefully a rescue near you has some space to take the little one in tomo

Keep bunny well away from your others (assuming you have others!), wash hands very carefully inbetween handling, change clothes etc do everything to minimise the risk of spreading possible illnesses as if bun was abandoned it might not be vaccinated.

Do you have an indoor cage? Can you keep the bunny for the night with plenty of water, hay but not many pellets as if it was abandoned 4 weeks ago it probably won't be used to pellets! Then contact rescues in morning, providing they aren't all full?!

Bless it. Good on you for rescuing it :wave:

Will ring around rescues and vets tomorrow. ..not sure what rescues are in my area, may have to eing rspca if no one can help :*( its in a pet carrier in the boot of the car with straw hay food and water at the moment as yes don't want to risk my other bunnies. ..its very thin some sort of lop cross :*(

Is the boot open? I'd worry about it suffocating.. But then I watch a lot of CSI.

My moms cousin found a stray rabbit. Now she's mine!

Where abouts are you? We might be able to suggest somewhere :) Some vets will take a stray but it does depend on the practice.

Have you got nowhere else for the bunny? You can't really keep it in a carry case in the boot of your car! :shock: If it is underweight, it will prone to getting cold. Do you not even have a spare pen/hutch/cage you can put it in, or borrow one?

Have you got nowhere else for the bunny? You can't really keep it in a carry case in the boot of your car! :shock: If it is underweight, it will prone to getting cold. Do you not even have a spare pen/hutch/cage you can put it in, or borrow one?

no I don't as don't want to risk my other bunnies....it has loads of straw hay food...its dry and warmer than being outside, the carrier is for a conti so is big enough for a temp holding, its safe from cars...foxes...dogs and the wicked people of the world... hopefully not for long:)

this is the little guy/girl

no I don't as don't want to risk my other bunnies....it has loads of straw hay food...its dry and warmer than being outside, the carrier is for a conti so is big enough for a temp holding, its safe from cars...foxes...dogs and the wicked people of the world... hopefully not for long:)

this is the little guy/girl

Ohh!! I thought it was a normal sized carrier! :shock: :lol: Poor bunny! :cry: So glad you managed to rescue him/her. I hope you manage to find somewhere for the bun, I would make the RSPCA the last resort.

Keep us posted. x

Ohh!! I thought it was a normal sized carrier! :shock: :lol: Poor bunny! :cry: So glad you managed to rescue him/her. I hope you manage to find somewhere for the bun, I would make the RSPCA the last resort.

Keep us posted. x

yes its the worlds biggest carrier lol as you can see the bunny can turn around hop about and even stand up full stretch... thankfully :) yes fingers crossed I have asked for help everywhere hope tomorrow brings good news :?

Looks like my local vets will take it and rehome it, they run a small rescue and told me to contact wigan rspca to get a tracking number from them, which means rspca will pay for treatment and the vets will rehome it after 7 days...

Looks like my local vets will take it and rehome it, they run a small rescue and told me to contact wigan rspca to get a tracking number from them, which means rspca will pay for treatment and the vets will rehome it after 7 days...

Escellent news. Sending lots of vibes for bunny to find a lovely home. I hope he/she isn't poorly and just needs some TLC :)

Back