• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

When bonding ..

Carolinew5

Warren Scout
do you keep them together during the day then separate at night ?? Im confused ... as my vet said not to put them together at night till your 100% sure they will be ok ... There are in different runs but able to touch and since ops have been more down the bottom together .. would you say there ready to meet ?? i have briefly but them together on the sofa and my lap and all was ok ...

Hi,
I think it all depends how the meeting goes when they are together, and what time you have to monitor them.
I've done the 'dating' method, where they spend increasingly longer time together each day in the neutral space and each then go back to their own hutch after, and this continues until your happy there is no aggression, chasing, nipping etc. you just get a feeling when your comfortable, you find yourself trusting them more. This worked really well with one of my pairs, and after a couple of dates they were bonded and started living together.
I'm currently trying the keep them together all the time method with a second pair as today there has been no aggression, chasing, nipping etc (as with earlier dates) and I don't want to risk separating them and going back to square one, so tonight will be their first night together in the neutral space - the kitchen - and I'll be sleeping on the kitchen floor just to be on hand should there be any altercation! It's mad what we do for our bunnies happiness sometimes!
Good luck with our bond.

Sorry, forgot to ask how long it's been since your buns had their ops as they should recover for a month or so before you try to bond them.

I had mine in a neutral space during the day and then separated at night (but where they could see each other) because I couldn't watch them and to give them a break from each other. I did this for a week until I was certain they were ok.

Back