• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Preparing for winter

catpud

Warren Scout
I have a question about run access for the rabbits in winter.

The run is attached to the shed and they normally have 24 hour access to it (it is predator proof and on concrete) but the door on the shed to the run obviously lets some wind and occasionally a little bit of rain into the main shed.

If they have 24 hour access to the run in winter as well then the cold is going to blow in. But I don't really want to shut them inside.

Is there a way of limiting the amount of cold air / rain / snow that comes in through the door? Would a tarpaulin over the side of the run closest to it help if I covered the sides and roof?

I was also going to use a box or their carrier, stuffed with straw, hay and blankets and face the entrance of the box away from the door and towards the wall on the opposite side to make sure there are no drafts.

Would you recommend doing these things, or would you shut them in the shed when it gets below freezing?

Could you fit a cat flap or runaround door into the shed door so that it could be left closed, whilst letting them have access at all times?

The main door is always closed. It is a smaller door that has been cut into the side of the shed with a wooden slider to open or close. Somehow rain still finds it's way in and we have a bit of a puddle sometimes near the door.

I could look into the cat flap thing, it could be useful.

Back