• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

One step forward - two back

marchi1990

Mama Doe
Yesterday morning I rushed Bunny to the vets because be was refusing food.

There was prominent gas and potential risk of stasis. The vet also picked up on a very sore spot near the front of his abdomen which she mentioned 'could be an abscess.'

He was kept in and was given Zantac, Metacam, Baytril & fluids.

He came home this afternoon looking better. They said he had started to poo and was eating.

But now I'm not so sure. He isn't really keen on food (had some hay & some basil) but has said upright no to some other things.

The vet sent me home with Zantac & Baytril but no Metacam. On second thoughts I am surprised they did this. It has been very difficult getting the Zantac & Baytril in to him. A lot has gone on his fur and I don't think so much into his mouth.

I don't know what to do - why didn't they give me metacam??

Last edited:
Sorry its not going well. Could you give the medicine on a bit of weetabix or banana so its less stressful. Not sure why you haven't been given metacam but i would call tomorrow and go and pick some up

I'm not usually given metacam for stasis either.

Do you have someone who can help you with the meds? I find it virtually impossible to do on my own, unless I can get them to take it hidden in a mint leaf or something (doesn't often work more than once!).

Did the vet rule out an abscess in the end?

No she didn't rule out an abscess in the end. She just said that because he had improved she 'believed' it was stasis.

This seems a little vague to me - unfortunately it wasn't my usual vet.

Overnight he hasn't eaten any of his pellets or herbs but he is eating hay. I have just given him his meds. It was a struggle to say the least. Unfortunately in the morning there isn't anybody around to help. I tried hiding it in banana but unfortunately that failed!! So I wasted a lot ... But I approximated what he didn't take in and measured out the rest.

:(

I'm sorry you are having such a hard time :( you could try mixing the meds with Ella's kitchen and syringing that in? I did that for mumu as he HATED taking his baytril and it worked quite well. I gave him a bit of Ella's kitchen in the syringe first then added some sneaky baytril and he never knew :lol:

I'm sorry you are having such a hard time :( you could try mixing the meds with Ella's kitchen and syringing that in? I did that for mumu as he HATED taking his baytril and it worked quite well. I gave him a bit of Ella's kitchen in the syringe first then added some sneaky baytril and he never knew :lol:

That could be worth a go! Any particular jar? Thanks!

Back