• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I am a bit worried about contacting rescues

All that rescues ask is that you have suitable accomodation, aren't going on holiday or moving soon, and have the finances and knowledge to give some bunnies a loving home :) I'm sure you will have no trouble at all! Give them a ring first and ask what they look for in a home so you can make sure you fit the bill before visiting

Try not to worry.
People who run rescues just want to make sure their bunnies end up in perfect homes so if your accommodation isn't what they will rehome to they will tell you how/what to improve.
And usually when you have improved what they have suggested you improve they will homecheck again :)

Try not to worry.
People who run rescues just want to make sure their bunnies end up in perfect homes so if your accommodation isn't what they will rehome to they will tell you how/what to improve.
And usually when you have improved what they have suggested you improve they will homecheck again :)

Exactly! I don't run a rescue but I do do home visits for the rescue I volunteer for, and what we want to do on a home visit is get to know you, chat about bunnies :D and see your set-up and environment and make sure it's the right home for that particular bunny.

In the vast majority of cases we'll be pretty sure before we even do a home visit that it's a good home, as we spend a lot of time talking to people before even arranging the home visit :)

If something's not right, a rescue will usually talk to you about how you can improve, or suggest you consider a different bunny if it's a case of something not being right for a particular rabbit. They won't write it off straight away.

Good luck in your search :)

I know how you feel. my local pet shop works with the RSPCA and has bunnies they are wanting to rehome in their shop, but if I'm honest I found the idea of doing what I considered to be an 'interview' intimidating. I get nervous easily and I thought I would just talk rubbish! And I also was scared I'd fall in love with a bun and then be told I'd failed the home check. When I went to the vets to get Levi and daisy vaccinated though and the vet asked me loads of questions about their care and housing I realised pretty quickly that I did actually know my stuff (and a lot more than other people he sees with rabbits) so I reckon you will be fine, you have done loads of research, just make sure you know the minimum housing requirements for the rescue you are looking at. :)

It's ok to be nervous... I was reeeeeeeally nervous, I've just been through the adoption process for our cat Jamie and it was my first time going through a rescue... It turns out that the rescue was really supportive and discussed anything I wanted to know about his care. They are coming back in three months to check everything is ok and that Jamie is settling, which I think is fantastic - it's not just handing over an animal and leaving us to get on with it.

I just kept looking at Jamie's picture and reminding myself why I was going through it - to give an animal a loving, forever home.

I'm guessing rescues are aware of how nervous people feel about home checks and will understand your fears.

Give it a go, if you think you have space, time and the money to support a rescue bunny (ies ;) ) give the rescue a ring. First step always a bit nerve wracking.

Have you already got your eye on one? :D

no i haven't found one I like just yet (truth is I like them all) I replied to Oreos thread but I am still unsure of what size I want keep going between a mini lop and a French lop and a netherland dwarf I know they are different ends of the scale but I like them need to narrow it down, or do I just go for a cross as I don't know if I am just looking for a rabbit.

no i haven't found one I like just yet (truth is I like them all) I replied to Oreos thread but I am still unsure of what size I want keep going between a mini lop and a French lop and a netherland dwarf I know they are different ends of the scale but I like them need to narrow it down, or do I just go for a cross as I don't know if I am just looking for a rabbit.

Oh, Oreo is gorgeous. :love:

If I can be honest, breed doesn't give you an idea of personality... Best to meet a bunny and check out what they are like... :thumb: but to help, think about what space you have and what space a bunny will need and if you plan to get a pair etc. If you go for a giant bunny, they need loads of binky room :lol:
It's really exciting getting a bunny, a rescue could help pair you with the right ones. :D Plus, going through rescue means the bunnies have all the right treatments/ vacs to get you started.

I'm sure you wouldn't have any problems, and they are very supportive. My Dandy and Beano came from the RSPCA and I worried no end that I wouldn't be good enough, but the process was fine, the home visit was very informal :thumb:

Me too, I've always been afraid of rescues in case they think I'm not good enough and take my pets off me.

But I have just taken the plunge and emailed a rescue this morning regarding the most gorgeous little bunny I've ever seem - Mitsy, a black bunny with stunning blue eyes. She has to be seen to be believed, I hope so much they let me have her I'm already in love with her. I'd to bond her with Slipper if I'm lucky enough to get her, but I'm so tempted to just go never mind that if they don't want me too as she really is exceptional. I haven't had a response from them yet, I've been anxiously checking my phone for emails all day!

I saw Oreo too - he was lovely, but too big for me. I hope he gets a good and loving home though.

I wouldn't get a bunny based on its breed.
You're best off going to a rescue, spending some time with pairs of bunnies and seeing which ones 'choose you' because a pair will and you'll know!

She is rather stunning isnt she? Good luck :wave:

Thank you, yes I fell in love with her a first sight, my jaw hit the floor and I said "oh WOW!!!!" I know they're most likely really busy so I haven't emailed them again, but I'm hopping up and down really impatiently staring at my inbox :lol:

Back