• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Renaming Rabbits

i have posted before about this

I am not overally keen on my buns names anymore i and like the names lilo and stitch but my mum thinks its not fair to rename them when pepsi has had his name since he was 6 month old and skye has had her name since she was 6 month old. They dont respond to their names anyway.

what do you guys think

Personally I wouldn't rename them if you have already been calling them by their current names. I don't really think the new names will stick and you'll just end up back calling/thinking of them with their current names anyway. If you've just got them from a rescue or whatever that's different though.

I dont think id have a problem renaming them, as most dont learn their names I think. All mine have kept their names, but because i like them and think they suite them.

How long have they had the names?

My Herbie was named by BARC and I kept it as the OH liked it.
Hollie was called Flossie for 10months at the SPCA, I changed it when I got her.
I would imagine that both had other names prior to going into the rescue also!

My BB Inca also used to be poppet at the rescue, so I changed her name :)

I wouldn't bother not because the rabbits will mind but because you've used their other names for so long seems a bit of a waste of effort..also Lilo and Stitch are very common names for bunnies now and i think the ones they have are nicer :D

I wouldn't bother not because the rabbits will mind but because you've used their other names for so long seems a bit of a waste of effort..also Lilo and Stitch are very common names for bunnies now and i think the ones they have are nicer :D

i was thinking of just renaming one them changing skyes name to poppit but i dont know yet

I tried to rename Slipper to a more masculine name when I found out she was actually a he, but it didn't work and she still gets referred to as she anyway, as I'm sure people will have noticed on other posts when I talk about her :lol: Some habits are too hard to break.

Do it! Mine all have loads of nick names anyway and dont seem to notice. Frosty binkies when its supper time just cos he knows its time for ... PELLETS. I could call him anything I wanted (including Tottlington Schmoo, which I do call him) :lol:

Its nice to call them something you like the sound of.

My first ever pet was a black cat called Poppet. Great name.

When I got Poppy and Will from the rescue I liked their names, (although Will is actually Willow which just gets shortened most of the time.)

I must admit when we got Nancy after Poppy died I wanted to change her name but OH wouldnt let me as "Nancy is her name". Mind you I didnt know what to change it to. A work colleague suggested Kate or Grace!!

They're often Nancy Noo Noo and Willow Pillow though:lol::lol:

I don't think it really matters, most bunnies don't really know their names anyway. I wouldn't change my bunnies names personally, but each to their own. I love my bunnies names and put a lot of thought into what they were going to be, so I wouldn't change mine.

However there's no point in living with a name you don't like!

Irenamed two of my rescue buns when i first had them-Maisie became Milly as it just seemed to suit her better,Bubble became Casper as i wasnt keen on Bubble.Harriet-also named by the rescue, suited her and i kept it and Harry,i named as he didnt have a rescue name anyway.I see no problem renaming buns for any reason-whatever youre comfortable with.

When I adopted mine I renamed one of them because his name was the same as my dogs! :lol: I would only rename if I really disliked the name they were given, but once I officially named I wouldn't change only because I'm old fashioned like that! :wave:

Back