• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Am I asking the wrong questions

lillylau

Warren Scout
Well Im looking on gumtree, pre loved pets 4 home for a older bun no longer wanted or a pair needing a new home

these are the questions I am asking

How old are they ?
most still seem quite young under 3 year old

Are they neutered ?
Always the answer I am getting is NO

Are they up to date with vacs ?
Again I get a NO

With it being my first bun I am just want to give a home to a nice bun, but I would like the rabbit neutered or at lease have they vacs done, to me it just make sense to do the vacs, like with dogs,

Am I worrying to much about the vacs and being neutered which I will do any way and I am going to look at rehoming centres but it would be nice to help a rabbit before it gets there.

Well Im looking on gumtree, pre loved pets 4 home for a older bun no longer wanted or a pair needing a new home

these are the questions I am asking

How old are they ?
most still seem quite young under 3 year old

Are they neutered ?
Always the answer I am getting is NO

Are they up to date with vacs ?
Again I get a NO

With it being my first bun I am just want to give a home to a nice bun, but I would like the rabbit neutered or at lease have they vacs done, to me it just make sense to do the vacs, like with dogs,

Am I worrying to much about the vacs and being neutered which I will do any way and I am going to look at rehoming centres but it would be nice to help a rabbit before it gets there.

You would be better looking at Rescues rather than Freeads :)

www.farplace.co.uk/Page/68/Rabbits+Available+for+Adoption/

Last edited:
Unfortunately the people putting their pets on the free-ads aren't usually the type to have neutered or vaccinated them.

You'll have much more luck with a rescue, and you'll obviously still be helping a rabbit in need as well as freeing up space for another rabbit to be helped.

Have you tried looking on www.rabbitrehome.org.uk? It has listings from both individuals and rescues and you're far more likely to find a neutered/vaccinated bunny from there. Unfortunately the vast majority of people advertising on freeads clearly weren't committed to a pet for life to start off with so are highly unlikely to have neutered/vaccinated their animal.

Personally I would recommend that you go to a reputable rescue. I totally understand your logic of helping one before it gets there, but the freeads are a complete minefield and you are at enormous risk of getting more than you bargained for as owners wanting to get rid of a pet through the freeads are often somewhat economical with the truth! For a first bun that could turn out to be a tremendous challenge.

A rescue bunny will already have been checked over and confirmed healthy (or potential owner made aware of issues), you'll be far more likely to get a good match between what you can offer and a suitable bun/pair of buns, and as Battlekat says, you're actually helping two bunnies by going to a rescue - the one that you adopt, plus the additional one that the rescue is able to help because you adopted the first one :D

Back