• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Moult/stasis

Fee

Wise Old Thumper
Hi

Looking for general advice.

Both of my bunnies are moulting very heavily, Smudge more so than Willow at present.
Given Willow grooms Smudge constantly, what advice can you give to try andalleviate possible stasis, should a hairball form.

I have taken to brushing both of them daily to try to remove the very loose fur but theres hair everywhere,

I have also tried to raise their edible hay from the litter box so they're not eating/sitting in it.They pull it down and sitin it anyway!!,

I am also giving them a fibreplex mouthful every couple of days to ensure they have enough fibre going through.

what else can I do..? I lost Floppy after a really heavy moult and dont want the same to happen again.

Fee x

Daily grooming including removing any tufts of fur by gently plucking them out
Good 80-90% hay diet
Avoid feeding high sugar veg/fruit
Avoid feeding a lot of commercial treats, feed natural forages instead
Maximise fluid intake- water bowls rather than bottles, serve veg still wet from rinsing
Lots and lots of exercise
Get to know what is a 'normal' poo output over a 24 hour period. A reduction in the amount and/or size of poo indicates gut slow down and almost always occurs before the Rabbit has a reduced appetite.
Weigh your Rabbits at least once a week and dont allow them to become overweight

:)

Thanks Jane!, fab advice..

I will try to do all of this. I dont ordinarily give my 2 fresh greens as I dont know which one has a tendency to have a runny bot if I do..

Should I continue with pellets as normal?

Fee xxx

Thanks Jane!, fab advice..

I will try to do all of this. I dont ordinarily give my 2 fresh greens as I dont know which one has a tendency to have a runny bot if I do..

Should I continue with pellets as normal?

Fee xxx

How much pellets to you feed them ? As long as it is a minimal amount and they mostly eat hay/forage/grass then that's OK :)

Between them they have a small handful morning and evening.

They have a handful of readigrass and the rest is Hay hay and more hay.. They are fab hay eaters as Aliduncan can testify to..They ate her out of house and home recently!,!

They were fine at Alis but Smudge is really looking right a poor waif and stray now...:cry:. Tufty shold be his nickname,

Back