• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Moody bunny please answer, very frustrated

moonturtle

Warren Scout
OK, as I have stated Bojangles is going through her first big shed. She shed a little bit in the spring, but it wasn't that bad. She is losing hair like crazy now and she is having massive mood swings. She will be very cuddling one minute, to playful the next, to aggressive the next. What can I do to stop the aggressiveness? I have tried leaving her alone, to cuddling, to scolding. I am scared that if she is being a little aggressive with me that she will be super aggressive with others. I was going to bring her into school tomorrow, but I am reconsidering my decision because she is being aggressive. I don't want her lunging at one of the kids. What can I do to help her and how can I curb these mood swings? I miss my cuddly, playful, little butterball.

Last edited:
She is spayed. She is a little over a year old. I am her first stable home. She recently became a free range rabbit. She is eating well (she munches on her hay all day.) When she is playful, she binkies a lot and when she relaxes, she bunny flops. I don't know what to do. She has been aggressive with some people in the past (she lunged at my boyfriend once when he would not leave her alone,) but never with me. She is beside me on the bed right now and I was gently stroking her to get some of her fur off and she suddenly turned and nipped my hand. Now she is snuggled against me and licking me. Earlier she was playing with me on the floor when she suddenly she bit my shoulder.

Last edited:
she isn't in any pain is she ? sudden mood swing can be cause by pain, animals are very good at hiding it

I took her to the vet a little while ago and had x-rays done because I thought she hurt her leg and they showed nothing.

She is spayed.

Hiya :wave:

I had similar issues with my Rex bunny Stanleigh, I got her spayed and her behaviour continued. I'm no expert but I believe the hormones can stay put for a number of weeks. Stanleigh is now much calmer and has no aggression issues. She is especially much nicer to her other bunny companion Daisy,they are inseparable. :love:

I think it's very wise to reconsider taking her to school, as you are saying, her behaviour is unpredictable at the moment and it could be a stressful situation for her.

I was also wondering if a vet visit might be practical? Just to make sure there are no underlying health issues (teeth?) that may be causing the behaviour.

Hope you get to the bottom of it soon. x

Edit: sorry, people beat me to it... :lol:

Last edited:
I got her spayed when she was 6 months old and she is over a year now, so there shouldn't be any lingering hormones. I made a vet appointment with her vet for tomorrow so I will let you know what he says. What is scaring me is this is a holiday week here in Korea (a big one.) It is Chuseok which is Korean Thanksgiving. Her vet is open 24/7/365, but not all of the vets and techs speak English. My Korean friends will all be at their relatives (that is the holiday, they eat a big feast at their families homes and visit the graves of their ancestors,) so I won't have anyone available to translate for me. I am hoping it is just the first big shed of her life that is messing with her emotions. She is eating and pooping well and she doesn't seem to be having teeth issues, but I don't know what happens with teeth issues. I am probably being paranoid, but I love her and I worry about her.

Rabbits definitely get moody when they moult. I have found that the heavier the moult, the angrier the rabbit. :lol:

I also found with my boy, that he got very aggressive because he was bored and lonely. He free ranged in my living room and was only shut away at night or when I went to bed (in an unsuitably sized cage :roll:) but even when he was out, he was acting up. When I got him a friend he did calm down and seemed much more happy and settled. He is naturally rather feisty and he is always grunting and growling at me :lol: but he is much more cuddly and happy now.

I don't think it is a heavy moult, but she is losing hair like mad. She lost some this spring, and she let me just pull it off of her. Now she doesn't want me to touch her rump (where most of the hair is coming off.) She is free range all the time. She has a very small cage bottom (where I still put her food and her towel where she sleeps,) but she can go in and out as she pleases. I would love to get her a friend (either a husband or a sibling, but that is not an option I live in a small apartment in Korea and I may have to go home in March if my mother has surgery. It will be hard enough traveling with one rabbit, it will be extremely hard with two.)

I don't think it is a heavy moult, but she is losing hair like mad. She lost some this spring, and she let me just pull it off of her. Now she doesn't want me to touch her rump (where most of the hair is coming off.) She is free range all the time. She has a very small cage bottom (where I still put her food and her towel where she sleeps,) but she can go in and out as she pleases. I would love to get her a friend (either a husband or a sibling, but that is not an option I live in a small apartment in Korea and I may have to go home in March if my mother has surgery. It will be hard enough traveling with one rabbit, it will be extremely hard with two.)

Fair enough. :) I can understand why you wouldn't want to get her a friend just yet.

Touching a bunnies bum is generally a big NO NO! This might be your problem. :lol: When bunnies want to move another bunny, or tell them off, they nip their bums. If I touch either of my bunnies' bums, I'd get nipped or boxed and they'd go in a mega huff with me. Not all bunnies are the same, but my two are very dominant and easily insulted. Trying to pluck fur off their bums when they are moulting is a complete nightmare! I have distract them and do it quickly before they spin round and have me. :lol:

I am also very new to rabbit ownership. I will admit she was sort of an impulse adopt. I love all animals and my friend saved her from a horrid situation. She was being abused by a guy and my friend pretended she was interested in him to save her. She grabbed her and ran when he was in the bathroom. She was going to keep her but then her landlord found out that she had a pet and flipped. Since our employers get our housing for us, finding another apartment was not an option for her. She had to give Bojangles up and I took one look at her cute face and decided to take her from her (thankfully, my apartment building is pet friendly.) I love her so much, she is great company. I am learning as I go and I am very paranoid I am doing things wrong. I will have her for one year in November and she just turned one in August. She is skittish around other people, but she good with my kids (she visits them often,) and she is very loving to me. She hides when someone comes into the house, but once they are her for a few minutes, she will warm up to them. Like I said, the only person she has been aggressive with is my boyfriend and other members have told me their theories why (and all of them good theories.) But, she is not aggressive all the time with him. She will occasionally cuddle with him and she will flirt with him. I don't know what is wrong, hopefully it is nothing serious. A lot of times I will "ticky" her bum and she will binky and do her Bunny 500 run.

Back