• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

can you teach an old rabbit new tricks?

bubsnfudge

Young Bun
Im after a bit of advice about litter training, basically, since we lost bubs a few weeks back Fudge has been coming in the house more and more and spends most of the day/evening sat in the lounge with us then goes back into his hutch outside at bedtime. He can pretty much come and go into the house as he pleases as he goes to the back door when he wants to go out and vice versa when he wants to come in.

He never does a single poo or wee in his hutch and must cross his legs till 7am when he's let out yet he's been wee'ing and poo'ing on the carpet in the house!! Problem is at aged 7+ is he set in his ways or can i teach him how to use a litter tray in the house? and if so how do i go about it? I dont want to have to confine him to outside especially now he's getting older and is obviously lonely (he's a grumpy thing and generally hops away if you go to fuss him but its obvious he wants to be near us )

He's pretty smart so think it may be do-able, he goes straight into his hutch if you clap your hands for bed time, he comes if you say 'num nums' (he knows its food) and he knows the word 'out' too when we are letting him out of his run or out of the house.

Yes. I've done this. I'd just try to set up a litter tray in the house with some of his own poo already in there. If you see him beginning to "go" somewhere, redirect him...

Good luck!!

great, thanks will give it a go tomorrow, what do you suggest i use in the litter tray? would sawdust do with a layer of hay/straw on top so he doesnt get sawdust all over the carpet? :thumb:

Sawdust in doors really doesn't work as you are right, it gets everywhere! Hay is good but I use a paper bedding you can get from most pet stores as a base. I also put some newspaper underneath although I know some people don't think you should.

If he's just come in I expect he is asserting his ownership, LOL. My inside two are still coming to terms with the outside two being there (they spot them sometimes and can no doubt smell them on us) and Truffles in particular has gone mad pooing everywhere despite only going in the litter tray before. I'm sure it will calm down eventually as long as you keep putting everything in the litter tray.

Back