• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Opinions please, bonding and houserabbits

DemiS

Warren Veteran
So basically Baby is a single rabbit, recently had ovarian cancer, it may or may not spread but if it does she's unlikely to show many symptoms so I need to keep a really close eye on her. I also want her to have the best life possible, especially considering she might not have that long left.

Anyway, I planned on bonding her to my trio, but the other female is absolutely awful with her, at first they just happily hopped round and ate next to each other, but anytime Baby made a sudden movement, my other girl Naami went for her, didn't bite her but she may of nipped and went for her in a really aggressive way. It really scared Baby. Anyway a few days later I put the runs next to each other like I've always done, but Naami started being quite aggressive again, trying to get to Baby through the bars, something she never did before :( Unless I can find some expert bonder near by I really don't think it's going to work, and I don't have the money or space for another rabbit.

So what I was wanting opinions on was should I maybe try keep her as a single rabbit? That way at least she gets a lot more attention than she currently does in her hutch, but it also means I can keep a good eye on her eating/pooing/drinking/weeing and activity and hopefully pick up any signs that her cancer has spread, something I wouldn't be able to do if she was bonded.

ETA: I forgot to add, she does like human company. She's been bonded to another rabbit before but they weren't close, no fighting but they'd spend their time sat on different floors or at opposite sides of their hutch and barely interact. I had to separate them in the end because she pulled his fur when she humped him and his back was getting a bit sore :oops: Also, as I mentioned earlier I usually put the runs next to each other, but she doesn't act any differently when she's next to them, doesn't sit and watch them, doesn't try to get to or interact with them, she doesn't appear to crave the company of another rabbit like all my others have pre-bond

Last edited:
Hiya :wave: if you can keep her in the house, I would definitely give it a whirl, and see how she gets on! You have nothing to lose, and it's lovely having house bunnies :love:

Hiya :wave: if you can keep her in the house, I would definitely give it a whirl, and see how she gets on! You have nothing to lose, and it's lovely having house bunnies :love:

Hopefully I can, it just depends on the place we end up renting and what the landlord is like. Thanks for your input :) I've never had a house bun before, she's probably not the best to start off with considering she's terrible with her litter tray and destroys everything but oh well :oops:

When my female bun died I brought her mate into the house as a housebun. He had been a housebun up to 2 yrs of age and is extremely clean, litter tray only even when he was in the hutch and run. He is 8 yrs old and as i could not try and bond him for various reasons the next best thing is as a houserabbit. He loves humans and company. Last night I had 6 friends over and he loved it.
If your bun is not litter tray minded then maybe keep one room for bun with a easy clean floor?

When my female bun died I brought her mate into the house as a housebun. He had been a housebun up to 2 yrs of age and is extremely clean, litter tray only even when he was in the hutch and run. He is 8 yrs old and as i could not try and bond him for various reasons the next best thing is as a houserabbit. He loves humans and company. Last night I had 6 friends over and he loved it.
If your bun is not litter tray minded then maybe keep one room for bun with a easy clean floor?

She is getting a bit better since she's been spayed, and I'm thinking even if I can't get her to go in a single corner, she's fine on puppy pads so I could just line a base with these. And aww he sounds lovely :oops: As I said Baby's fine with people, always demanding attention off of me but doesn't really give a toss about other rabbits. The more time you spend with her the more she wants to be around you too :) And that would be brilliant but I'm starting university next year and I doubt I'll be able to afford somewhere with a spare room for the rabbit :oops: Plus I want her to be able to spend as much time as possible out and in the same room as us

Must admit our housebun is totally free range all the time. We have had to encase all our cables in flexi conduit and one of our dining room chairs has a sliver missing underneath where he had a gnaw but he is a very well behaved bunny:lol:

Our house is going up for sale and I have told estate agents that they must warn viewers there is a free range housebun as caging him up at all causes him huge stress and he is too old a bunny to be stressed. Just hope we don't get any viewers with a phobia about rabbits:lol:

Back