• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

is two better than one

lillylau

Warren Scout
Ok I have been having a think. I was thinking about getting a French lop just one, but rabbits like company so two is better but I don't think I would be able to take on two giant breeds so I was thinking two small breeds, either from shelters or off some one wanting rid, my question is if I got two young ones is there a best age to introduce them, bit pointless if I find an older ones but for young ones.

I do think 2 is definitely better than 1.
We can be with a bunny 24hours a day but our company will never be as good as another rabbits.

Sometimes smaller breeds of rabbits need just as much space as larger breeds. My mum has a netherland dwarf and she has to be a house bunny because she is so full of energy, just a hutch and run wouldn't be enough for her!

There are thousands of pairs of bunnies in rescues desperately looking for homes so I'm sure you'll find the pair for you pretty quickly.

If the area you have is 5x3 I, personally, wouldn't have a French lop as they are rather large rabbits.

Rescues already have bonded, spayed/castrated and vaccinated pairs so you don't need to worry about bonding/neutering etc. With over 65,000 rabbits in rescues and the donation you pay (which is not much compared to the vet bills from a free ad etc, it's so much easier..). I will always rescue animals now, all the hard bits are over, you just enjoy them!

Ad rabbits would more than likely need spaying/castrating and vaccinating. If they are already together then keep them together unless they are a boy/girl pair to prevent breeding or they are fighting. Spay/castrate and if you can, keep them together, if not there are a lot of bonding threads on here. There are also a lot of threads on keeping more than one rabbit and the plus points so have a search.

Boy/girl, boy/boy, girl/girl combos all work. My boy/girl combo is fine but my boy/boy pair are inseperable and a better bond than my girl/boy.

would a cage in the house 5ft by 3ft by 2 1/2 ft be ok for a breed say some thing like netherland or mini lops, I am converting the down stairs of my house to bunny proof it and the rabbit would have free rain but for when im asleep or out

I do think 2 is definitely better than 1.
We can be with a bunny 24hours a day but our company will never be as good as another rabbits.

Sometimes smaller breeds of rabbits need just as much space as larger breeds. My mum has a netherland dwarf and she has to be a house bunny because she is so full of energy, just a hutch and run wouldn't be enough for her!

There are thousands of pairs of bunnies in rescues desperately looking for homes so I'm sure you'll find the pair for you pretty quickly.

agree with the netherland dwarf bit, my old girl rosie in her younger years was a right handful :lol:

would a cage in the house 5ft by 3ft by 2 1/2 ft be ok for a breed say some thing like netherland or mini lops, I am converting the down stairs of my house to bunny proof it and the rabbit would have free rain but for when im asleep or out

In my opinion that is too small - you would be much better getting a large dog crate and adding a run. There are some very good ideas and pictures on here of things people have built using panels. That way you know they would be happy and have room to move around when you were out or in bed.

ETA Yes, I think most rabbits are happier in pairs. Lots of rescues have pairs who have already been neutered and bonded. Nothing like seeing a pair snuggled up together!

Last edited:
All breeds of rabbit need a lot of space. My nethie is 7 years old and lives in a 12ft x 8ft bedroom with a german lop. He could do with another 2 rooms of the same size though, especially at night. Rabbits are awake when we are asleep so need plenty of room to dart around, binky etc.

Back