• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Nettle has an eye ulcer

Sam and Truffs

Mama Doe
Poor Nettle. Bite wounds over her ears from her sister, being spayed and now an eye ulcer. The vet thinks it's caused by a pointy bit of hay because Willow would have caused a lot more damage. It's only little, so we're hoping it will clear quickly. She got antibiotics when she was spayed on Thursday for her ear wounds just in case, although they looked fine. She now has some antibiotic eye ointment to go with the loxicam twice a day so that should be a bundle of laughs trying to get that in. I opted for the ointment rather than the drops as it's only twice a day and it will definitely be a 2 person job!
They both had a quick check while they were there and the wounds are healing fine, and they both feel as if they have food in their tummies. Post-op and eye check is on Tuesday.
Apparently when they went in for their spays, after I left them, they had to take them upstairs to theatre so opted not to use our metal dogcrate which is heavy, and used their own plastic carrier. One of them gave it an almighty thump and broke it, so they know firsthand now how strong Contis are. Luckily the lovely vet thought it very amusing.

Last edited:
Poor Nettle is in the wars :( hoping she gets out of the streak of bad luck soon and that they continue healing well. I can believe you about the carrier, I don't fancy trying to give either of them meds to be honest! Though I'm sorry to say I much prefer eye drops, if I go near her mouth sometimes Pooka twitches just as I get a syringe in, whereas eye drops were pretty simple.

Glad the vet didn't ask you to pay for the carrier, but then again it's their own fault and they should know now never to put an annoyed conti into a plastic carrier! Good thing you didn't decide to do vet trips with them separately otherwise you could have had the same thing happen.

As I type this my boyfriend is making Pooka wear a leaf like a hat...I hope she makes him pay for that later.

Although they seem quite intimidating, and when you first meet them you are a bit overwhelmed by how strong they seem compared to 'regular' buns, they are actually pretty docile and gentle. It isn't easy getting meds into them but it's easier than it was getting recovery food into the other two. Of course, while the vet was demonstrating how to get the eye ointment in Nettle was completely still because she was scared to be there, and that won't happen at home. Fun and games I'm sure.

I did feel bad about the carrier, but after all I had provided a sturdy carrier for them, they just opted not to use it. After that I guess they understood why we have the dogcrate! They do give a few thumps in the car so it's just as well.

Don't get me wrong I'd love giants one day when I have the space. To be honest at least they have sturdier frames to them, when I first had to syringe feed Cloud I was scared of hurting him. And I know what you mean about the vets, they all run to me and hide in my arms if we're there for anything. The second we get home it's a case of finding the smallest space possible and hoping for the best. I know if I have to do anything with them again I'm putting the puppy pen up first, a whole living room is too much space when they run faster than you :roll:

LOL I have visions of bunnies being chased around the living room with a syringe now.
At least we did better than the last time we tried to use a syringe on bunnies, when the ceiling was decorated a lovely shade of recovery food.

Back