• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Boredom breakers and winter feeding?

DarceyH

Warren Scout
Ok, so I have a very active bunny, (translation, hyperactive lunatic) and I am constantly trying to find ways if entertaing her to stop her from destroying the hutch and chasing her Husbun too much! I thought I would share my favourites with you, and ask if any one else has any others!

Bunny kurplunk: so while I was in my local p@h looking for boredom breakers (theirs are all tacky and rubbish) I saw a hamster play log, one if those hollow ones with holes all through it, and had the idea to stuff it with treat hay (chamomile or peppermint meadow hay, or green oat hay) and hide some treats, veg or pellets in it. My buns absolutely love it!

The rescue who bonded my buns have me this idea: they put veg and treats in empty egg cartons and the buns have to work out how to open it. I haven't tried this yet but I am about too.

I also have a wooden hay rack which I put their oxbow herbige Timothy hay, there is a small opening in the front with metal bars on it, they sometimes dig at it to listen the hay, (clever buns!) or they jump up and eat from the too if it full. Occasionally they will head but underneath, (there is a small gap at the bottom where thin bits occasionally fall through) and that will just knock the whole thing of the wall...

I have a lovely apple tree and a bay tree which has just been cut back, so I took a branch and washed it, taking the seeds off, and gave it to them. Smokey utterly destroyed it, and Robin went round after her munching on the leaves. I haven't given then any apple tree cuttings yet but I will!

I also occasionally stuff veg inside toilet paper rolls with hay which they love.

Ok next question. Their winter coats have just come through (oh my gosh, Robin is the cutest little fuzz ball! He's a mini Rex, and Smokeys fur has finally grown back from her spay, and she has stopped ripping it out so her internal stitches must be dissolved!) they are outdoor buns, (very well insulated) but I also wanted to up their food intake as I heard some people do, I always have out plenty of hay and keep it topped up, and I have upped their excel pellets a little bit, but I don't want them to have to many pellets, as they choose them over hay and veg. I was wondering if I could give them a few organic oats, as I read some one gave them oats, is this a good idea or a terrible one, and is there anything bette I could be doing for them? Robin also tends to stuff himself, so I want to make sure I don't make him pop!

Thanks for reading and replying if you do!
Darcey, Smokey and Robin

Back