• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Indoor set up - pic heavy!!

vicky_26

Warren Scout
I've been toying with the idea of having my two buns indoors for a while now and after picking them up from bunny boarding this morning, on impulse decided to set something up just to see how they got on. I'm not sure Poppy and Parker are fully bonded so I have had them in separate set ups in the garden although they free range together. Generally plenty of grooming (Poppy to Parker) but Poppy is also fairly humpy with Parker. No aggression or fighting though.

Anyway, have attached a few pics.... Would welcome any feedback. Very basic I know, and I will add new bits. When I am not here to supervise would put the cage around to secure them.

Questions I do have..... How do I make sure they are both getting food? Parker is a proper piggie whilst Poppy isn't. Also what should I do night time. The cage I have is big enough that I could section the area off so they are separate overnight or I do have small indoor cages that I could just put them in of a night?

Also, (sorry for all the questions...!) in their outdoors set up they used litter trays.... Should I set them up one each or would they both just use the one?

5aac73f42535fae08708cc4d0c381898_zps639b34dc.jpg

770656e98f2a1ce410a01da5ab4d9147_zpsb657e3e6.jpg

94f3078b6170e32a9106dbf74160339c_zps8bdf0827.jpg

3f806979a70fe78f2c911a0861ce7965_zps10673717.jpg

92c60ac0e5f5fb39ac7fb9214fce6046_zpsce280ddc.jpg

2abd284a9f8aaf43913ef0ab5da6ce88_zps52824df4.jpg

fc97847e108277abf81e31a529465b2a_zps951101c1.jpg

Lovely set up. I would love to have our boys indoors but we just haven't got the space.

Where did you get their lovely little wooden shelter with the heart shaped window? I'm looking fir something similar for the boys shed.

It looks great :) It's perfectly normal for 100% bonded bunnies to start humping when put in a new area (and in some pairs just in general). If that's the only 'bonding' behaviour you are seeing I would say you've got bonded rabbits whether you realise it or not ;) I expect if they start living together full time you'd see the humping decrease.

If the area is secure then for night, I'd just leave them there. I wouldn't separate or cage them.

As long as there is plenty of hay then food should be fine. It's a good idea not to have dry food around all day, you really want to limit it to make sure they don't eat too much. You might find if you restrict it to two feeds a day he'll start eating at those times once he gets the routine. Otherwise, you could just reserve the dry food for hand feeding so you can split it evenly (or unevenly) depending on who needs what. If one is protective of the bowl, scattering it over the floor works, so they hunt it out :)

Sorry, one more thought, I'd be tempted to move anything breakable off the window sill. It looks within launch range if they jump from the box ;)

I was just looking through and thinking mine would instantly be on that windowsill and also the shelf where you have the photos. Looks lovely for them though. :)
The windowsill looks quite low so mine would be able to get onto it even without the aid of that little house in front of the radiator. In which case you need to think about what to do when the windows are open. Mine get onto the windowsill so I had to deal with this too, and haven't actually come up with a permanent solution but temporarily I have trellis along the length of the window with cardboard behind it. It doesn't look pretty but the windows are only open while I'm home and it stops them jumping out.

Last edited:
Lovely set up. I would love to have our boys indoors but we just haven't got the space.

Where did you get their lovely little wooden shelter with the heart shaped window? I'm looking fir something similar for the boys shed.

Oh thank you....!

I got it from Pets at Home and it wasn't overly expensive.... Around £15 I think. Poppy seems to love it! So cute when she was looking out the little window!

I think your questions have been answered, but just wanted to say I really like your setup!

Thank you for all your advice...... So helpful :thumb:

I've been changing little things all day - and I'm sure I'll keep moving bis around and adding bits until it 'works,' but I didn't think about the window sill so will def address that. I very rarely have the windows open (if at all but will def make sure I consider they could get on the windowsill if I do!)

Only issue I had today was that they seemed to wee on the blankets rather than in their litter tray so worried if they keep doing that it will cause my living room to smell too much.....

Would be fab if they are bonded.... They certainly seem friends..... ! They just don't really do the whole proper cuddly thing like some of the lovely pics you see on here!! :love:

Thanks again for the advice!

Back