• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Yay Pooka is eating finally

RavenMoon

Mama Doe
We got back from the vets about 6 last night. The nurse had tried to syringe feed her at 4 but she was having none of it apparently. I got her home and put her in the pen and she just sat down and went to sleep. She felt very cold, so we heated up the snuggle safe and put it nearby. She still felt cold, and despite people saying they mostly want to be left alone after a spay I couldn't just sit there, so I got in and lay next to her, and stroked her head, which still made her purr. So I spent a few hours on the floor with a blanket over both of us until she seemed to regain some body heat. She wasn't tempted by anything we tried, and as it got late on I wasn't sure what to do, since I didn't know the last time she had eaten anything. At one point she came over to me sitting there cross legged and propped her head up and front legs on me, then went to sleep. Every now and then she would shuffle up a bit, giving me a look of utter exhaustion, and I was petrified.

In the end I syringed her some water, as she hadn't drunk anything either, but would hover over the bowl as though she wanted to, and some liquidised pellets. I eventually had to go to sleep, because I was falling asleep on the floor and was getting told off because of my back. This morning I did the same thing, and continued to lay on the floor stroking her. About half an hour ago she hopped over to the pellets we had left and had a munch, had some of the forage from the box we took the vets, took some plantain and had a crunchie! All pretty sudden, but I've never been more relieved in my life, because I desperately didn't want her back at the vets today because she holds her bladder. She's now flopped out next to the snugglesafe. :thumb:

Aw, glad she's eating. Managed to tempt my two this evening with some blackberry leaves, but they'll still only eat if you handfeed them and won't eat pellets yet. How is Pooka about taking her medicine?

Aw, glad she's eating. Managed to tempt my two this evening with some blackberry leaves, but they'll still only eat if you handfeed them and won't eat pellets yet. How is Pooka about taking her medicine?

She was alright taking it, by that I mean I could do it myself and didn't get my wrists slashed....
She'll pop over to the pile of forage she has and nibble a bit of stuff here and there. Slightly smelly poops and small, but there is output so we are pretty happy. I have to poke her to make sure she isn't eating the stitches though....I think she's just cleaning icky cream off her fur.

Last edited:
Back