• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Occasional unusual poo

moonturtle

Warren Scout
Is it normal for a rabbit to have the occasional unusual poo (like a human with an upset tummy?) This morning, Bo had a unformed ceceo that stunk. She ate it after it came out, but it was runny, like the time she had diarrhea. She is eating her hay right now and seems to be acting normal. She has been eating a lot of banana recently (we share a banana every morning.) Other than that, she has cut down on her food. She eats a lot of hay, a little bit of pellets in morning and night, and kale in the morning. She was naughty this morning and ate some wallpaper off the wall.

Is it normal for a rabbit to have the occasional unusual poo (like a human with an upset tummy?) This morning, Bo had a unformed ceceo that stunk. She ate it after it came out, but it was runny, like the time she had diarrhea. She is eating her hay right now and seems to be acting normal. She has been eating a lot of banana recently (we share a banana every morning.) Other than that, she has cut down on her food. She eats a lot of hay, a little bit of pellets in morning and night, and kale in the morning. She was naughty this morning and ate some wallpaper off the wall.

I would stop the banana, they are very high in sugar and that will disrupt the function of the 'good' bacteria in her cecum causing dysbiosis-ie the unformed cecals.

Bananas are not a natural part of a Rabbits diet and if they are fed at all it should be in a tiny amount, no more than a thin round slice once a week at the most. None of my Rabbits are ever given Banana :)

I would stop the banana, they are very high in sugar and that will disrupt the function of the 'good' bacteria in her cecum causing dysbiosis-ie the unformed cecals.

Bananas are not a natural part of a Rabbits diet and if they are fed at all it should be in a tiny amount, no more than a thin round slice once a week at the most. None of my Rabbits are ever given Banana :)

This is exactly what I was going to say :) personally I don't like banana myself so my two have never had any as I don't want to open one up just to cut off two tiny pieces for them. My dad has collected from blackberries/brambles for them when he's been out running so at the moment they get one of those each as their occasional fruit treat :)

I know I shouldn't give her so much banana, but she is so cute. I am a softie when it comes to animals giving me the cute look, my dog is spoiled rotten also because I cannot resist those sad puppy dog eyes. I think it is so cute the way Bo begs like a dog. I think she is also having some issues with ingesting some fur (she is shedding badly getting ready for winter and since she is only a year old, this is her first big shed.)

I know I shouldn't give her so much banana, but she is so cute. I am a softie when it comes to animals giving me the cute look, my dog is spoiled rotten also because I cannot resist those sad puppy dog eyes. I think it is so cute the way Bo begs like a dog. I think she is also having some issues with ingesting some fur (she is shedding badly getting ready for winter and since she is only a year old, this is her first big shed.)

But feeding her something that cam make her poorly is not being kind to her, even though she loves Banana it could make her very ill in the longterm. Gut dysbiosis, gut stasis, impactions/blockages to name a few examples. Some of these conditions can be fatal :cry:

It is obvious you love your Bunny and that you want her to be happy, so I really would not feed her so much banana. One small round slice once a week is more than enough. It's called 'tough love' !!

Back