• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Post spay behaviour

RavenMoon

Mama Doe
Ok so Pooka won't eat still, they only managed a teeny bit of recovery food at the vets, she seems to be weeing but also possibly leaking a little, unless it hurt too much to move which I would understand. Every now and then I get a second of my bunny, then she retreats back, she has groomed me when I was laying under the blanket with her and the snuggle safe. She'll hover over her water a bit but won't drink. As I've never had a spay before I don't know what is normal and what isn't.

Rosie hasn't even moved out of the corner of the cage yet but one of the strips of cabbage leaf I put in the cage with her has disappeared so unless she's sat on it, I'm hoping that's a good sign.

It's going to be a long night for both of us I think!

Also I've been told once a day for loxicam, I'm assuming that means I can't give her any tonight as she apparently had some after the op. but given what I've heard about bunny metabolism I'm just a bit worried.

I know I should have more trust in my vet but after knowing so many have let buns down its very difficult.

Rosie hasn't even moved out of the corner of the cage yet but one of the strips of cabbage leaf I put in the cage with her has disappeared so unless she's sat on it, I'm hoping that's a good sign.

It's going to be a long night for both of us I think!

Hopefully she has eaten it and not sat on it. Pooka has gotten up to go to the toilet bless her, she held herself at the vets but the second she got into her carrier she went there. Other than that she came over and rested her head on my lap for a bit. I'm sitting with her but only because she seems better when I am.

How long has she been home for? I've never experienced a spay, but when my boys were neutered they started eating at different times.

Blossom was straight away, and Leo was around half an hour .. Both quickly luckily :)

How long has she been home for? I've never experienced a spay, but when my boys were neutered they started eating at different times.

Blossom was straight away, and Leo was around half an hour .. Both quickly luckily :)

She was home about 4/5 hours by this point. She only started eating of her own accord around 12 today, I ended up syringing her water and pellet mush last night and this morning, which I at least managed unlike the nurse at the vets :roll:

How's Pooka today?

Rosie is not eating a lot still - occasional nibble of hay and a bit of carrot I left for last night is mostly gone. Her poos are very small at the minute although still regular, so I'm not sure at what point I need to worry :?

Samantha and Truffles didn't eat normally till about day 5. Willow and Nettle are on day 3 now and they aren't eating pellets and are being fussy about other things, although they have just decided they like basil which is good as I bought 2 giant pots of it! Willow has had the last of her pain relief and seems OK about it. Quite feisty in fact!

How's Pooka today?

Rosie is not eating a lot still - occasional nibble of hay and a bit of carrot I left for last night is mostly gone. Her poos are very small at the minute although still regular, so I'm not sure at what point I need to worry :?

Her poos are the same as Rosie's. She also isn't eating her cecals which is concerning me, but at the same time I'm wondering if the meds are making them smell off to her. She has eaten all the forage we gave from the garden and is picking at everything else a bit.

Samantha and Truffles didn't eat normally till about day 5. Willow and Nettle are on day 3 now and they aren't eating pellets and are being fussy about other things, although they have just decided they like basil which is good as I bought 2 giant pots of it! Willow has had the last of her pain relief and seems OK about it. Quite feisty in fact!

Well she'll pick at the pellets, just not this morning. I was a bit late giving her pain relief this morning because I was struggling to get up due to my back, and my boyfriend is useless at giving it. :( when she sits up she makes a 'crunch' noise with her teeth, I think this might be grinding although I've never heard it before. If it isn't then her teeth are making a funny noise :? I'll see if it stops soon, as she also hasn't flopped like she was last night, can't blame her if the pain has kicked back in.

Hopefully we will all have our usual buns back soon! xxx

Rosie wouldn't let us adminster her pain relief this morning - was being very nippy etc - which I'm hoping is a sign of being well enough to reject it. I didn't want to push it and have her try and dash for cover or something and end up doing herself an injury. My daughter brought her in a few leaves of sage from the garden which she chomped up straight away so if nothing else I'll be raiding my various herbs to keep her interested.

Rosie wouldn't let us adminster her pain relief this morning - was being very nippy etc - which I'm hoping is a sign of being well enough to reject it. I didn't want to push it and have her try and dash for cover or something and end up doing herself an injury. My daughter brought her in a few leaves of sage from the garden which she chomped up straight away so if nothing else I'll be raiding my various herbs to keep her interested.

Hopefully she doesn't need it, silly bun. I've decided to stop poking Pooka when she starts grooming, since she's had two nights without being watched constantly and hasn't touched the stitches. I think she just doesn't like the smell of the weird cream poor girl. I think we'll all be happy when normality ensues, and we get some proper poops!

Back