• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Dry skin - more veg?

steph182

Wise Old Thumper
Milly has dry skin. She's been checked over and doesn't have mites. She's not bothered about it at all but obviously I'd rather it cleared up!

The vet thinks she has sensitive skin made worse by a really heavy moult but suggested giving some extra veg to see if more vitamins help. Mine don't get veg daily, Charlie hates most veg and Milly has a bit of a sensitive tummy too. They get it a few times a week instead.

So, can anyone recommend some veg/fruit that might be good for her skin, ok to feed daily and is preferably not too damp (Charlie won't eat wet food and if she gets something and he doesn't, he sulks. Splitting them to feed them is hard work. It'd be easier if they'd both eat it!).

I have such awkward rabbits :lol: They're still angry at me for taking them to the vet, too :roll:

I can only say what I feed -

spring greens every day; cabbage most days; green pepper most days; sage, rosemary, thyme, mint (I grow these) every day; celery occasionally; bit of spinach occasionally; bit of swiss chard when in season.

Mine love their veg and have a big bowl between them every day (spring greens form the largest part).

Might it be an allergy to something in the pellets? eg. grain?

I dont think so, it happened straight after a really heavy moult so I imagine that is it. Shes been on the same pellets since I got her two and a half years ago soI hope that isnt it! I got some spring greens for her and we have pepper and stuff in so we'll see if giving her a bit extra helps. Shall give her it tomorrow when Im home, hope Charlie will eat it too!

Thanks all

My bridge bunny had this problem-flaky skin all over his ears and the vet said there was nothing wrong with him. He got plenty of fresh veg (and fruit) but it just seemed to be one of these things. He only had it when he was older (he lived to be 9) so we just claim to the conclusion that as it wasn't bothering him then it didn't bother us. Don't know if that helps, but lets you know your bun isn't alone x

Back