• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

When can I rebond?

Amy104

Warren Veteran
Comet has been seperated from Sapphy for the last 28 days because of head tilt, nystagmus. Also on Monday he stopped eating hay and had to have a dental. Panacur finishes today and everything is normal with exception that he's not munching his usual qty of hay yet.

When would it be ok to rebond them - should I leave it longer for his immune system to pick up?

I only ask as they are clearly missing each other and I wondered if rebonding may help him recover better and encourage him to eat hay again.

I had to seperate him at first because he was very unstable and needed a small space where he could find everything, and I wanted to check input output. Plus she's alot bigger and kept knocking him over.

Bonding can be quite stressful so can have a negative affect on the immune system. Are they living alongside each other? I'd probably be tempted to wait a couple of weeks for him to recover unless they are clearly in distress at being apart. If they have been living alongside each other though, a bond may even be really quick & easy

Thanks, thats what I thought. They've been living alongside each other and when I bonded them last year it was her who was the nervous bun as comet is quite a bossy bun! But I'm so worried about knocking his immune system and something else going wrong. Maybe I will wait a couple of weeks and see how he is then, he's improving by the day so I'm sure he'll start eating hay normally soon.

I'll be watching this thread.

I'd love to rebond Polo and Cleo but I'm not sure whether it'll work. They've been seperate but close by each other since April. Cleo is a tiny nethie and Polo a huge NZW so I'm not sure if it'll ever work again, as she still has a bit of a wobble sometimes and is much slower than she used to be.

Hope you manage to re bond them at some point!

I rebonded him before with his previous partner as soon as the 28 days was up, but he recovered much quicker 2 years ago when he first had this and also didn't have the added complication of a dental. He's much smaller than her too as he's a tiny nethie, but he's the bossy one, she's more submissive so I'm confident they will rebond, its just knowing when to do it.

Well, I decided to let them have a little date last night to see how things would go. He took one look at her and did a huge binky :love:

Needless to say I didn't bother seperating them and my little couple are happy together again. :love:

Back