• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rosie is off to be spayed - advice

jemjabella

Mama Doe
On Friday 13th!

Good job I'm not superstitious :|

I've had post-spay cats before but never had a female rabbit done. Any general advice for when we get her home?

Keep her inside as she won't be able to maintain her body temp after the op. use towels or carefree as bedding as hay etc may stick to the wound and irritate it (obviously stil have hay available for eating) offer lots of different types of food like herbs and favourite treats to tempt her to eat. A good vet wont send a bunny home after an op befor she is eating and pooing. Also, make sure you are send home with a course of pain relief, usually metacam.

I hope thats everything! Sending lots of vibes for Rosie xxx

Sending vibes for Rosie :)

You probably know this already but, keep her inside (if she is not already an indoor bunny) over the weekend, have her on soft bedding, keep her comfortable, make sure she starts eating again quickly (the vets normally only release them after they have eaten/pooped). Don't fuss too much over her, I think they like to be left alone. Make sure you get some pain relief as well.

edit: oops elmoandfern got there before me. :lol:

Pooka has just been dropped off too. About to bust myself cleaning hay out of her area in the bedroom, setting the blankets up etc. I asked at the pre-op check if she would be sent with metacam and they said they don't usually, but they've got down that she will be now, since I've asked and with the weekend coming up. They'll see her monday for a check, other than that tomorrow if she isn't eating.

Poor girlie will have a cone too, although I've been told to use my own discretion as to whether she needs it on.

Pooka has just been dropped off too. About to bust myself cleaning hay out of her area in the bedroom, setting the blankets up etc. I asked at the pre-op check if she would be sent with metacam and they said they don't usually, but they've got down that she will be now, since I've asked and with the weekend coming up. They'll see her monday for a check, other than that tomorrow if she isn't eating.

Poor girlie will have a cone too, although I've been told to use my own discretion as to whether she needs it on.

When I took Belle for her op I was given the option to pay a bit extra to have these special stitches that they sort of sew up inside her so she can't get them out? That way she didn't need a cone?

Might be a bit too late now (sorry only just seen this) but if you need another bun doing at any point that's a good option :)

Vibes to Rosie and Pooka :love: Like ashbunny said - they usually like to be left alone. Just keep an eye to make sure she is eating and drinking and she's warm - good indicator is to feel her ears. Use a snugglesafe if you have one perhaps! Belle was back to her normal self the next evening.

xxxxx

When I took Belle for her op I was given the option to pay a bit extra to have these special stitches that they sort of sew up inside her so she can't get them out? That way she didn't need a cone?

Might be a bit too late now (sorry only just seen this) but if you need another bun doing at any point that's a good option :)

Vibes to Rosie and Pooka :love: Like ashbunny said - they usually like to be left alone. Just keep an eye to make sure she is eating and drinking and she's warm - good indicator is to feel her ears. Use a snugglesafe if you have one perhaps! Belle was back to her normal self the next evening.

xxxxx

The stitches weren't given as an option, although I've had dissolvable stitches and still had to have them dressed, so they may still put a cone on to stop her licking at it. I'm sure someone on here has had a bun eat the internal ones still! I had her microchipped at the same time though, as I take her on the harness into the garden and she likes to hide under a bush then nibble the lead whilst I'm frantically trying to climb under :roll:

We have a snugglesafe and she'll be in our bedroom as she usually is. Her space is all made up, litter cleaned, I just want her home now!

Thanks xxx

I hope it all goes well for both of them. My two aren't really eating yet so am dithering about whether to phone the vet or not.

Thanks all for the good vibes. No update yet but it took them a while with Flymo too. :?

Me neither, though they did say they'd likely be calling 2-3, so I'm not panicked yet. Haven't sit still, but haven't done anything useful either :roll: Was supposed to make treats and banana loaf...

I baked the day my 2 went in too, went and had coffee but couldn't stay still so go it as a takeaway .. Clover had those stitches and glue but she still nibbled but not until the 3rd day think as it was healing it may have itched her never saw her do it again though and it`s better now 15 days post op... :D.. Hope all your bunny`s get better soon :)

Last edited:
Just heard - she's just come round :thumb: we'll be picking her up at 5ish assuming she eats and poos before then :D

With my vets they keep them in overnight after anything with a GA, and by the time they were back the next day they were not happy! I would have preferred them back home the same day as the op as I believe they would have recovered quicker as they are nervous buns and vet trips stress them.

I kept mine in on just newspaper, and kept things calm and quiet around them. I offered them a buffet of everything they like to eat as they were refusing everything for quite a while. I had to wave dandelion leaves and hay basically in their faces so that they got cross, and when they went to push it away with their mouths they forgot they were being angry and ate it instead :lol: our vets gives a check up on the stitches a couple of days after and then again in a week or so.

Sending vibes for a quick recovery for Rosie and Pooka xxx

I second that, with all 4 I've found just putting food down isn't enough, I've had to wave it in their faces. just had success with Willow eating a few brambles leaves with pineapple juice on, she's rejected everything else.

I second that, with all 4 I've found just putting food down isn't enough, I've had to wave it in their faces. just had success with Willow eating a few brambles leaves with pineapple juice on, she's rejected everything else.

Ah good!

I annoy my buns enough by waving stuff in their faces so I'm fine with that one! Had to do it when Cloud had stasis too, that and keeping him moving. Let's just say he wasn't best pleased.

With daisy they used some kind of glue apparently! I was impressed, taking her back for a check up this evening.

Any news on Pooka yet? :)

Poor Rosie is still drowsy. Got her back in her cage indoors this weekend while she recovers - swapped out the sawdust for fleece blankets - and she went to stand up to have a nose around and fell over.

Put in some dry food and going to try and tempt her with some veg shortly, although she's not used to fresh stuff so not sure how successful it will be!

Back