• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What to do. Recently single bunny.

xClairex

Alpha Buck
I know no-one can make the decision for me but I feel like I need some help because I just don't know what to do.

I had a pair of bunnies. On Monday Sydnee passed away which has left Angel on her own. They were a bonded pair for 9 years and were extremely close. Angel was with Sydnee when he died and stayed cuddled up to his body until I moved him.

Anyway I thought the loss would really affect Angel but.....it doesn't seem like it has.
Do you think the fact that she was with him when he died means it's been easier on her? She knows he's gone and understands why maybe?
She is acting completely fine and normal. Eating, playing, following people about, pooping, digging in her box. Just everything she would normally have done with Sydnee.

I just don't know if to find her a friend or not.
She is 10 years old.
I would like a break from rabbits for a little while because my health has not been great.
But I will do whatever is best for Angel.

Should I get her a friend soon?
Leave her until she starts to look lonely?
Not get her a friend at all as she seems fine on her own?

This is so hard.
I've never had to make this decision before.
All pairs I've had in the past, when one passed away I just paired them up right away.

The only other problem I've found is that I cant seem to find any older (8 years or older) rabbits in rescue which is what I would like if I were to get Angel a friend.

Sorry I don't know your set up but is Angel an indoor or outdoor bun? I think if they are together when one of then passes then they know and realise the other has gone. Given Angel's age and your own health needs then from what you've described I personally wouldn't get Angel another friend. As long as you can provide Angel with enough fussing and attention then I think she'd be fine. I'm sorry that you lost Sydnee x

Thanks for replying Glingle.

Angel is a house bunny.
She has never been too fussed about human attention, but I guess that's because she had Sydnee.
The last few days we have found that she will spend more time with us and has even 'asked' (by nudging our hands) for headrubs.

I just want what is best for her.
I would hate to think I'm leaving her on her own but she wants a friend.
Just wish they could talk to us and let us know what they want.

It is really hard when one bunny dies leaving the other one. I always said I wouldn't get any more pets if one died because we were going to have a baby at some point so needed the money. But then Bee bunny died. And if it wasn't for Bumble I wouldn't have got another bunny but in the end we thought that it was best for Bumble to have a husbun. Bumble did become a lost closer to me which was great for me but Bumble is outside and I work so I can't be with her like a bunny can. We tried and failed once they fought within 2 weeks but now we've got Butter-Bean we've only had him about 2 weeks perhaps a bit more but it's looking good I think... We did it for Bumble. It is a hard decision... I do think it's best for Bumble to have a husbun...

I don't know what I'd do in your situation. Tully seemed fine after Mango died too, but he's not that old so we got him a friend.

With Angel being 10 though and you not really wanting more buns, if she seems happy and is a house bunny it's probably the best situation to break out of the 'cycle' and have just one bun. I would definitely get her a friend if she starts to seem lonely though.

It is a bit different if she's old and also a house bunny i'm guessing she'll get more attention naturally anyway. Bumble loved having me around but it's just she wanted me around more I'm sure she did. But of course she's a lot younger

At the age of 10, I really wouldn't bother to get her a friend as long as she seems happy. Is somebody in the house for most of the time? If it was me, I would probably see if any older buns needed homes, and see if she would bond with them, but given that you don' want more buns, I think she would be ok.

At the end of the day, as you said, only you can make a decision, you know your bunny best. :thumb:

In your position, I wouldn't get her a friend. Yes rabbits should ideally have friends, but you have to do what's right for your circumstances at the end of the day. At some point, as you don't want to keep having rabbits long term, you have to break the cycle. I wish I could get Ash a friend, but it's just not feasible with her health atm.

Thanks for all the replies.

I think I am going to see how Angel goes for now. If she starts to seem lonely I will get her a friend.
I will also be keeping an eye out for any older males looking for a home, if one does pop up then I will see how it goes between him and Angel.
If anyone knows of any oap bunnies please can you let me know?

I think I will always have bunnies, I tried to take a break once before and a pair came into my life unexpectedly :lol:

I am always at home, I only go out about once a week to go shopping and to see my mum. So Angel has plenty of company.

Thanks for all the replies.

I think I am going to see how Angel goes for now. If she starts to seem lonely I will get her a friend.
I will also be keeping an eye out for any older males looking for a home, if one does pop up then I will see how it goes between him and Angel.
If anyone knows of any oap bunnies please can you let me know?

I think I will always have bunnies, I tried to take a break once before and a pair came into my life unexpectedly :lol:

I am always at home, I only go out about once a week to go shopping and to see my mum. So Angel has plenty of company.

Whereabouts are you? I know Captain Helen had a couple of boys 7+ years old at Acomb rabbit rescue.

Whereabouts are you? I know Captain Helen had a couple of boys 7+ years old at Acomb rabbit rescue.

I am in south Cambridgeshire. Close to Cambridge.

I wish I lived closer to Acomb because Dylan is just :love:

Last edited:
I was in the sane situation recently.
I knew I didn't want more bunnies but had a single older bun.
He was with his partner when she died and always seemed ok about it.

It was such a sad situation but I made sure I spent plenty of time with him and he seemed fine.

He passed away 9 months later. I'm glad I didn't get another rabbit as with his health and my other commitments it just wouldn't have been fair.

Sorry you lost your bunny. I hope you can decide what is best :)

Back