• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

which rabbit insurer are you with

When I asked this question everyone recommended petplan. I just took out a policy with them but when I read exclusions willow wasn't covered for gastro/tummy things because he had it before, so now I'm not with anyone and have opened a savings account instead :thumb:

We have our two with helpucover.co.uk

With multi pet, first month free and Quidco cashback (£24 per policy) overall it works out at £3.80 per bunny.

Took the policy out 6 weeks ago. Just as well as Daisy had a dislocated hip and we were hit with a vets bill of £572!

When I asked this question everyone recommended petplan. I just took out a policy with them but when I read exclusions willow wasn't covered for gastro/tummy things because he had it before, so now I'm not with anyone and have opened a savings account instead :thumb:

I made the same decision for the same reason about 5 years ago with Artie and Rudy, gradually I've changed my mind and along the way got them insured and now I wouldn't not insure as between 10 rabbits the vets bills for claimable illnesses has been over £3,000 in the last 12 months!

Artie went on to need treatment for bladder sludge and the surgery cost £336, a few follow up x-rays etc another £200 ish and then with ongoing treatment costing c£35 a month for the next four years.
He then went on to develop kidney stones and needed 2 surgeries costing a total of £1,400..... luckily by that time I had decided to insure him despite him having 2 pre-existing conditions.

I insured Rudy and all other rabbits around 4 years ago. I haven't previously been able to claim on Rudy as he has had stasis episodes but not covered, then 2 weeks ago he was ill and was found to be anaemic, investigations are ongoing but could prove to be expensive so despite him having exclusions for previous stasis and dental/facial abscesses etc I'm thankful I have him insured.

The original question:

6 with Pet Plan, 3 with Pets @ Home. Due to financial constrictions if I took out a new policy it would probably be with P@H as much cheaper, but if only running a couple of policies it would definitely be Pet Plan. Beware of looking at the starting premium cost and the excess and planning the next 10 years based on that! Esme originally cost around £100 with £55 exess, 5 years later at 5.5 years old she is £168 per year with £90 excess... multiply that by quite a few and it mounts up a bit!!

Yes, I think that's the case with all insurance policies: they don't cover pre-existing conditions (for a certain length of time, anyway). Hope you managed to cancel before you lost any money.

Yes, I think that's the case with all insurance policies: they don't cover pre-existing conditions (for a certain length of time, anyway). Hope you managed to cancel before you lost any money.

Yes I did, as soon as the policy came through I read it from back to front! :thumb: and cancelled in time!
I'm not keen on insurance for pets, I've never had it before (I'm on the bread line like most:shock:) just put aside a small amount each month in an account I don't touch.
But when it comes to rabbits it's very different, they get ill so quickly and easily so I think insurance is good. I only have willow at the moment, but when I move I intend on having more so insurance will be the way to go! :p

I'm with petplan. Just signed up actually, two of my 3 have had mild upper respiratory tract infections so I was worried that they would be exempt. But they aren't :p Thor is fully covered since he has been fine for over six months now, Poppy has a temporary exclusion on her policy until she has also been clear for 6 months then she will also be fully covered! :p

They really are not the cheapest and even the multipet discount seems fairly pathetic :lol: But as they now seem to cover dentals as well (as long as I get them all yearly dental exams) it seems very worth it!

We have our two with helpucover.co.uk

With multi pet, first month free and Quidco cashback (£24 per policy) overall it works out at £3.80 per bunny.

Took the policy out 6 weeks ago. Just as well as Daisy had a dislocated hip and we were hit with a vets bill of £572!

Just had a lookie and a quote with helpucover as I didn't know they did rabbit insurance.

On their T's and C's it says the normal stuff about no burring, no existing conditions etc but it also says they won't cover emergency vets out of hours fees - do you know if that's true or not? I might be just reading it wrong :oops:

I might switch to them, but seeing as all the claims I've made so far have been predominantly out of hours, I'm worried about them not covering?

how would you rate helpucover, don't really like pet plan as had trouble with them in the past, also I don't want a lump payment at the beginning plan,

how would you rate helpucover, don't really like pet plan as had trouble with them in the past, also I don't want a lump payment at the beginning plan,

The vets have submitted the claim for me this Monday. When I spoke to the claims department they were pretty helpful too, although she wouldn't say that I'd be definitely covered but she check my policy and said she couldn't see any reasons why they wouldn't process the claim. I think you'll find this with all insurance company as they don't want to commit themselves in case there was any come back. I'll update the you/thread once I hear from them.

Just had a lookie and a quote with helpucover as I didn't know they did rabbit insurance.

On their T's and C's it says the normal stuff about no burring, no existing conditions etc but it also says they won't cover emergency vets out of hours fees - do you know if that's true or not? I might be just reading it wrong :oops:

I might switch to them, but seeing as all the claims I've made so far have been predominantly out of hours, I'm worried about them not covering?

I'm with Helpucover too. I have claimed once and they covered out of hours fees. I think it might be that they don't cover out of hours fees for home call outs (as in you have to take your rabbit to a vet not have the vet come to your home). They were really good with my claim too and reimbursed me really quickly :D

The major things they don't cover are:
Non emergency dentals
Pre-existing conditions
Injuries caused by your other pets (so if you have a dog or cat that injured your rabbit they basically say it's your own fault, but this does mean if you have bonded rabbits and they injure each other they don't cover)
And they only cover 25% of dietary foods (eg critical care)

I can't remember how that compares with other insurers but I'm happy with them so far. My premiums went up £1 with Lilly after one year and no claims and went up about 2p with Harvey after 1year and no claims! I don't get why that was! But they're still low premiums IMO and the excess is low too :) also they both get 1 month free per year for multipet discount :D

I'm with Helpucover too. I have claimed once and they covered out of hours fees. I think it might be that they don't cover out of hours fees for home call outs (as in you have to take your rabbit to a vet not have the vet come to your home). They were really good with my claim too and reimbursed me really quickly :D

The major things they don't cover are:
Non emergency dentals
Pre-existing conditions
Injuries caused by your other pets (so if you have a dog or cat that injured your rabbit they basically say it's your own fault, but this does mean if you have bonded rabbits and they injure each other they don't cover)
And they only cover 25% of dietary foods (eg critical care)

I can't remember how that compares with other insurers but I'm happy with them so far. My premiums went up £1 with Lilly after one year and no claims and went up about 2p with Harvey after 1year and no claims! I don't get why that was! But they're still low premiums IMO and the excess is low too :) also they both get 1 month free per year for multipet discount :D

The only T&C I don't really like is the injuries caused by other rabbits one. Seems like a way of not paying for an injury claim for one of a bonded pair even if it wasnt caused by the other rabbit, as it would be difficult to prove the other rabbit hadn't caused it.

Although I suppose I'm not sure if that's even covered on my current insurance policy, so I should go and check that, and if it's the same I might switch as it's a lot cheaper (excess is cheaper too) and also I don't like giving money to P@H :evil:

I know what you mean I don't like the big green pet shop either. I breed and show Syrian and dwarf hamsters for my show lines and I hate the way hamster are treat in the shop and the fact that they have farm bred pets for sale, also their housing is appropriate for the animals in their care. also there is a good chance when you buy an animal from them it will have health and or mental conditions, so giving them money is a no for me.

I think it's a matter of finding the right cover that's right for you and your bunnies.

You'd be hard pushed to find a policy that covers absolutely everything and for every eventuality.

Therefore, it's important to find the one that fits into your circumstances and its right for you and one that you're happy with whether it has exclusions or not. As long as you know what you're signing up for, there shouldn't be a problem in the future when a claim is made.

Just spoke to helpucover, they have my claims form and they are currently assessing it and will be in touch within the next 3 days. Fingers crossed.

can I ask what happened to your bun and what happens if your insurer wont cover ?

Daisy had a dislocated right hip. After the vet trying to 'pop' it back in and failing, they suggested the last thing they can try is anthroplasty surgery. We went ahead with it after speaking to the claims dept who said after reviewing the policy, she couldn't see why the claim wouldn't be processed.

She's recovering really well and considering she's only had the surgery exactly a week ago, she is already hopping about on the bad leg and has been for a few days. She's still the same Daisy we know, coming up and nudging me for a stroke and making her own bed of straw the way she likes it. Other than the scarring, you wouldn't think there was anything wrong with her.

We're reintroducing her back with Pip at the weekend, that should be fun!

She's our first rabbit and I now have the upmost respect for vets and everything they do for our pets.

I obviously said go ahead with the surgery from what the lady said from the claims dept, it's a choice you have to make pretty much there and then as they will never tell you that a claim will be processed. You can imagine everyone saying "you said on the phone, you'd pay out".

If they don't pay out, wel'll have to pay out of our own pocket. Would it be worth it? Absolutely!

I'm with pet plan. Mainly for the cover for life aspect. As I have young buns with no pre-existing conditions as yet I felt that was important.

I'm with Petplan as well, over the last 3-4 years they've paid out more than £1500 in vet bills and I just submitted a new claim to them for £380. I've had Ash insured from day 1, so they cover everything apart from routine dentals (filing down her molars) - they do cover everything else to do with her dental disease i.e. when she had an abscess.

Regarding out of hours, as far as I am aware they will cover it as long as it is necessary for bunny's health i.e. they would not cover for a home visit if you asked for an out of hours home visit due to your work schedule for example.

The cover for life is important to me, as otherwise insurers will just stop paying out once bun reaches a certain age.

The only thing is that my vet doesn't do any kind of payment plan and doesn't accept direct payments from an insurer, so I still have to find the money upfront. To be honest, whether or not you choose to get insurance, I think anyone who owns a pet has to accept that they come with costs.

that's another thing to consider, I understand that in my case I will need an insurance as im not very good at saving and we just couldn't draw out £300 to £500 at the drop at a hat hence insurance against the rabbit, but how many peoples vets wont take insurance payments and want payment there and then.

Back