• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

baby rabbit help please!

Azraelm

Wise Old Thumper
Someone in a group I'm in on Facebook posted this, please can anyone offer advice that I can pass on

"Overnight our cat caught this baby wild bunny. No idea where Mother is and likely that she would reject now anywhere. So here goes, I will attempt to save it. It is taking water and glucose solution from a syringe and bleeding from small wound has stopped. Quite alert and have got in the warming cupboard. So far not died from shock. Infection may be a problem from wound but bunnies are extremely hardy. Please can anyone suggest best formula to feed it. Mother rabbit milk I know is extremely rich and I have not found out online how best to replicate. I know someone in this group will know!"

Please note we're in New Zealand if you suggest a brand etc.

Should they not just take it to a vet/rescue? I doubt they will be able to just release it into the wild once it has been hand fed and is used to human contact...

I'd suggest starting a thread on Trade Me in the Pets & Animals part of the community forum.
Or else looking at the NZ Rabbit Councils forum for tips on hand rearing baby buns.
I have friends who have done this here but they have been big enough babies to eat grass and hay and drink water from a dish.
So long as thats all they have grass, hay & water they did well.
I am guessing this bunny is too young for that.
I've also heard of goats milk being ok as a mum bun milk substitute so that is in the supermarkets.

ETA my bunny geek friend who is a vet nurse and bunny expert is on her way over so I will have a better answer for you soon.
If they are in Auckland then Lynfield vets, Pet Doctors Mt Eden (bunny vet is KV) or else Pet Doctors Mt Albert (Liz or Berend ).

Last edited:
I'd suggest starting a thread on Trade Me in the Pets & Animals part of the community forum.
Or else looking at the NZ Rabbit Councils forum for tips on hand rearing baby buns.
I have friends who have done this here but they have been big enough babies to eat grass and hay and drink water from a dish.
So long as thats all they have grass, hay & water they did well.
I am guessing this bunny is too young for that.
I've also heard of goats milk being ok as a mum bun milk substitute so that is in the supermarkets.

ETA my bunny geek friend who is a vet nurse and bunny expert is on her way over so I will have a better answer for you soon.
If they are in Auckland then Lynfield vets, Pet Doctors Mt Eden (bunny vet is KV) or else Pet Doctors Mt Albert (Liz or Berend ).

thank you. Wouldnt the vets euthanise him though, since he's legally a pest?

Hi everyone

I havent been here for a while. This exact same thing happened to me last night. I came home from work to find a wild baby in my living room, same kind of monor injuries but it looks to be about 4 weeks old. We made it warm and it has eaten over night etc.

I have 6 buns, (3 pairs). I would like to adopt this bun for life if it survives, I know that some have done it quite successfully but I would really appreciate any comments that you guys have and will get some pics of this gorgous creature asp

Thanks

Baby wild rabbits are chucked out of the nest at 4 weeks old to fend for themselves.

Vets have to treat wildlife for free so if it's not injured put it back out side somewhere safe that rabbits are likely to be and if it is take it to the vets for treatment they will then sort things out for it.

iirc we used cows milk fattened up with melted butter when we had tinies. We found them next to their dead mother who must have been trying to move them, probably after a stoat attacked them. There were just the two of them and they had probably just opened their eyes as they were still a bit squinty. If it's like that they it's too small to be out on it's own. Of the two we raised the runty one died (he was half the size of the other) and the bigger one we released - he was still very wild as we only fed them and put them back, no cuddles.

Back