• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Do hamsters moult?!!

*Funny*Bunny*

Warren Veteran
Sid has a new coat growing through on his neck and between his shoulder blades, it's thick black grey hair that is shorter than his normal brown fur, it looks exactly like when the rabbits new coat starts coming through!!! :shock:

I saw the shadow beneath his fur and thought it was a scab but nope the skin is absolutely fine!

What kind of hamster is he? My little Frasier definately changed colour as he was growing up. My Russian dwarf hamster went very white one winter when we kept her in the spare room (we think it was because she was more aware of the longer nights).

I had a white and ginger hamster who went white, an all brown hamster who got a ginger bum and my winter white went from grey to marbley white, but in summer not winter :lol: They can change colour a fair bit!

What kind of hamster is he? My little Frasier definately changed colour as he was growing up. My Russian dwarf hamster went very white one winter when we kept her in the spare room (we think it was because she was more aware of the longer nights).

He's a Syrian, no idea how old he is as we got him from the RSPCA, I think he was youngish though, not as young as the ones in pet shops, but he has grown a bit since we got him at the beginning of August (although maybe he's just gotten chubbier :lol:) maybe it's the sudden cold weather?

I had a white and ginger hamster who went white, an all brown hamster who got a ginger bum and my winter white went from grey to marbley white, but in summer not winter :lol: They can change colour a fair bit!

Wow! None of my previous hamsters have ever changed colour! Even my rabbits don't really change colour with seasons so it was a big shock for me the see a shorter, newer completely different coat colour! At least he's normal and not ill or anything! He'll be a cutey whatever colour he is because he's got such a lovely temperament :love:

sounds to me like he is a long haired Syrian and the hair that is coming in is his long coat this is caused by testosterone in males and he is at the right age to be getting is coat, nothing to worry about.

Apollo was black and white, now he's brown and white:lol: he's about 8 months old.

Sid is going the exact opposite in colour change :lol:

sounds to me like he is a long haired Syrian and the hair that is coming in is his long coat this is caused by testosterone in males and he is at the right age to be getting is coat, nothing to worry about.

He is long haired (not as long haired as some of my Syrians have been though! He's tufty :lol:), does this mean my sweet little boy is turning into a little man?! I hope he remains sweet!

Back