• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

what bedding do you use for your hutch in the shed?

nori

Young Bun
Hi all,

im have an open hutch in the shed and was it currently has carpet down. I keep reading that people put lots of straw in their hutch in winter. My rabbits have a litter tray, if i start putting straw in the hutch are they likely to use it as a litter tray?

I was thinking the same. I have a hutch in my shed and when I filled it with hay they pee'd and pooped there x

Try it and see? My lot are all really great litter tray users, for wees especially. Perhaps if they only have hay in their litter trays and just (hopefully boring) straw in their bedroom it will work out ok.

I might try straw again this year.. but my outdoor pair just dig it all out of their house! :roll: Going to get some wood and put a lip on the entrance so it's harder for them :lol: They poop in there sometimes but never wee, I line it with newspaper just in case anyway.
They have blankets in there atm which have already been dug out.. Doesn't matter what I do to keep them warm, they always end up snuggling on the top of their house:lol:

Need to figure something out for Charlie though as she's on her own. She digs under the hay though so might just get a bigger storage box litter tray and fill it with loads of hay :)

When we had a hutch in the shed we put a cardboard box in the hutch and stuffed the gap in between the hutch and the box with straw or blankets. That way the box stayed quite well insulated but they didn't pee in it.

Ours will always use hay or straw as a toilet if it's in any sort of enclosed area.

Mine will use any litter tray whether it has hay or straw in there for pooing, weeing, eating and relaxing :lol:

Back