• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Why bunnies?! Why...

DarceyH

Warren Scout
I finally opened up the top level of the new mega-hutch today, in hopes that, as they were used to using the litter tray in the corner of the bottom floor, they wouldn't poop and pee in their nesting area as they had in their old hutch. So I aranged it all nicely with loads of meddow hay and barley straw to make it extra warm, as its going to be a bit chilly tonight, I also stuffed a log arch with hay and straw to make it extra snuggley!
But no, they decided that they would make their amazingly made bedroom, all poopy and damp probably just to spite me, than had the nerve to be extra cute while I cleaned out half of the bedding, and had to get rid of it, just to put more in, and stick a bowl on top of the corner they were going in. I bet I wake up tomorrow to find the entire room upside down and messy...
I guess I will have to get a new litter tray, (they still seem to be using the bottom floor one too) and put it in their nesting box, but then they wind be able to get in as the pop hole to the room isn't talk enought with the sides of the litter tray...

Has anyone else had this problem of them going in their bedding area and knows how to stop them? I wouldn't mind, but it's the most enclosed part of the hutch, and I want them to keep it dry and warm as it is getting a little colder! Stupid bunnies being so cheeky, but are just so cute they can totally get away with it!

I have always found that bunnies will use the enclosed area of hutch as litter area. So I have always just put the litter tray ( I used a cat one that had the side cut away for entry- edges filed smooth) in the bedroom part of hutch. Rabbits choose their litter area!!
I would then put lots of bedding in another area of hutch so they could then make a bed for themselves wherever they wanted.

Lol. We have had our two for two months now and from day one, they have used the "bedroom" as their "bathroom". It is very frustrating but I've given up on trying to get them to go elsewhere. I just put their litter tray in the bedroom area now and I've made them a snug area in another part of their hutch with loads of straw and a layer of hay. I used to do the snug my way but the bunnies would ALWAYS move the straw and hay to exactly where/how they want it as soon as I shut the hutch door.

So far it seems to be working well as they only 'go' in their litter tray either in the hutch or in their run. There's the occasional stray poop but not many.

Wouldn't you like to do your 'business' in private rather than out in the open.

I think as long as you make them something they can retreat to and stay nice and warm and cosy, I'm sure they'll be just fine.

I remember reading one of the threads on here that said "the rabbits own you, not the other way around". They will always do what they want!!!

I have always found that bunnies will use the enclosed area of hutch as litter area. So I have always just put the litter tray ( I used a cat one that had the side cut away for entry- edges filed smooth) in the bedroom part of hutch. Rabbits choose their litter area!!
I would then put lots of bedding in another area of hutch so they could then make a bed for themselves wherever they wanted.

I bet that is what I will end up doing too! I just hoped that as the bottom floor has a semi enclosed area too, (that is where I put the tray, and where that have been going) that they would go down there, no luck I guess! I better get filing then!

Lol. We have had our two for two months now and from day one, they have used the "bedroom" as their "bathroom". It is very frustrating but I've given up on trying to get them to go elsewhere. I just put their litter tray in the bedroom area now and I've made them a snug area in another part of their hutch with loads of straw and a layer of hay. I used to do the snug my way but the bunnies would ALWAYS move the straw and hay to exactly where/how they want it as soon as I shut the hutch door.

So far it seems to be working well as they only 'go' in their litter tray either in the hutch or in their run. There's the occasional stray poop but not many.

Wouldn't you like to do your 'business' in private rather than out in the open.

I think as long as you make them something they can retreat to and stay nice and warm and cosy, I'm sure they'll be just fine.

I remember reading one of the threads on here that said "the rabbits own you, not the other way around". They will always do what they want!!!

Yeah I guess I would, but I hoped they would use the semi enclosed area on the bottom, but no luck! I do buy them houses that I put in as bed rooms, (they loved the sea grass one that I think is in your picture of pip, (so cute btw!)) but then just eat them. The sea grass lasted the longest at 4 weeks, but it's just so expensive getting a new one once a month! And I only had one bun when I had the sea grass... They have yet to eat the big wooden shelter I have put in their attached run (covered with a closable pop-hole entrance to the hutch so that is wont get too cold) but that is too big to put in the hutch so they have enough room :/ sea grass again it is!
(Which I'm sure they will also re-arrange as soon as I have filled it with hay and straw!

I have to say that mine never wee in their 'bedroom' though at the moment because its been summer it's never had hay in it just a thick layer of straw. They use the downstairs of their hutch as their loo, they have huge cat sized litter tray that I line with pellets and then straw, and up until this week, they partly went in the litter tray but either one or both was also leaving little bits of wee dotted around which I dutifully cleaned up every day in the hope that they would 'get it'. Then this week they have had a fleecy blanket in their hutch instead of shavings because daisy has been spayed and to my utter a amazement I have not found a single bit of wee outside of the litter tray. I'm a very happy bunny mum, but I have no idea why they have suddenly chosen to understand it. (They have also not chewed the blanket at all. Not even slightly. I. Am. Amazed) I just hope this continues when they get their normal bedding back!!

I have to say that mine never wee in their 'bedroom' though at the moment because its been summer it's never had hay in it just a thick layer of straw. They use the downstairs of their hutch as their loo, they have huge cat sized litter tray that I line with pellets and then straw, and up until this week, they partly went in the litter tray but either one or both was also leaving little bits of wee dotted around which I dutifully cleaned up every day in the hope that they would 'get it'. Then this week they have had a fleecy blanket in their hutch instead of shavings because daisy has been spayed and to my utter a amazement I have not found a single bit of wee outside of the litter tray. I'm a very happy bunny mum, but I have no idea why they have suddenly chosen to understand it. (They have also not chewed the blanket at all. Not even slightly. I. Am. Amazed) I just hope this continues when they get their normal bedding back!!

Hope the spay went well! I had a terrible time after Smokey was spayed, I had to force feed her for two days! (I was very tired afterwards!) I would try an old blanket, but I have a feeling smokey will try to shred it (she likes the hutch just so, which generally means tipping food bowls and litter trays over, then spreading the contents of both all over the place...
I did try with only straw once, as I read it would help, as the were less likely to eat straw, but, of course, because they just love to be difficult, they love eating the straw, so I mix them both, as hay to munch on and straw as I heard its a better insulator! I may get some vet bed and try that too, at least I can stick blankets and vet bed in the wash if if doesn't work! I fleecy blanket is probably warmer then straw and hay anyway, better at keeping the drafts out too! I may get a big one, cut it in two, then cut half into thick strips, so they can best with it, but hopefully not eat it! X

It did thank you :) she was feeling a bit sorry for herself I think, and didn't eat much the first night, but I had her in her carrier as she was inside and I think she was a bit miserable. When I put her back in her hutch the next morning (it's in a shed so not too cold) she was hopping around and pooing so I was happy. She had lost a bit of weight when she went for her checkup so I'm taking her back on Friday. But given the speed at which she was nomming the spring greens I just gave them I'd be very surprised if she hasn't put the 40g back on. Plus my vets used glue rather than stitches so I don't have to worry about her having stitches taken out. It's just a bit scabby, I guess she's been licking it, but I can't work out how to stop her, especially as its easy to confuse with her eating her caecals. It looks ok apart from that though, not sore or anything and she's running around like her normal self now :)

I'm not sure when to start stuffing the nest box with hay...I don't know whether to wait just a bit longer so they fully feel the benefit when it does get really cold. Plus they never seem to sleep in there anyway, they much prefer sitting on top of it!

(Also I put hay in their litter tray not straw!)

It did thank you :) she was feeling a bit sorry for herself I think, and didn't eat much the first night, but I had her in her carrier as she was inside and I think she was a bit miserable. When I put her back in her hutch the next morning (it's in a shed so not too cold) she was hopping around and pooing so I was happy. She had lost a bit of weight when she went for her checkup so I'm taking her back on Friday. But given the speed at which she was nomming the spring greens I just gave them I'd be very surprised if she hasn't put the 40g back on. Plus my vets used glue rather than stitches so I don't have to worry about her having stitches taken out. It's just a bit scabby, I guess she's been licking it, but I can't work out how to stop her, especially as its easy to confuse with her eating her caecals. It looks ok apart from that though, not sore or anything and she's running around like her normal self now :)

I'm not sure when to start stuffing the nest box with hay...I don't know whether to wait just a bit longer so they fully feel the benefit when it does get really cold. Plus they never seem to sleep in there anyway, they much prefer sitting on top of it!

(Also I put hay in their litter tray not straw!)

Spring greens was the the first proper food Smokey ate too (parsley and a bit of bazil was her first nibble) she wasn't drinking mutch though so I soaked the spring greens in water, she lost a fair bit if weight too, but I boosted her pellets (and fenugreek crunchies, though that was mostly me feeling sorry for her!) and she gained it back in no time! Smokey starting pulling her fur out around the shaved area, I think her internal stitches were bothering her. I had some bitter apple spray left over from when my lab was a puppy and chewing EVERYTHING, it is supposed to work with rabbits too, so I put a bit in my finger, and rubbed it on the area she was attacking (avoiding her wound) and that helped, it has also stopped her eating the inside on the nice new hutch, I may spray a bit in the blankets I use actually! Her wound was scabby for a bit too, but it just fell away as she healed, I think she may have irritated it while hopping away from me when I put her back after feeding. If she is with another bun, and had been seporated for a bit, she may have had a small scuffle to check who is still boss, it just an over excited greeting! It sounds like you have had a relatively stress free spay though! I'm rather jealous, very happy for you and your buns though!

I think I will start putting a mix in their tray, as they are used to going on straw, since that's where smokey went before I got her out of her old residence (it wasn't a home, so I still refuse to call it that!) I will try to wean them off slowly! Hehe, but I guess they will just go where they want to! Thanks for all the tips btw! I forgot to say that before!

Yes I think I've been very lucky with my daisy, I was expecting it to be a lot worse. When I went and picked her up she was awake and alert and moving around which surprised me, apparently it was something to do with the fact that the vets administered the anaesthetic through the muscle rather than the vein, the vet told me they come around a lot faster when it's done that way.

I think the scabby bits are just her licking, they were there before I put her back with Levi and they haven't got any worse since I put them back together. I guess scabs are quite normal with wounds really, and as they aren't infected looking I'm pretty sure it's just her healing. To be honest, I don't really think she needs to go back to the vets tomorrow, she is eating like a horse and is behaving like her normal self. I don't think they are going to tell me anything I can't see for myself. Still, I better take her just to be sure.

Has anyone else had this problem of them going in their bedding area and knows how to stop them?

Yep - I actually removed the divider so I could just put a massive litter tray at that end of the hutch. None of them ever used it to snuggle in in the winter so they obviously didn't need it. I just line the tray with straw in the winter with hay on top to help insulate it.

Yes I think I've been very lucky with my daisy, I was expecting it to be a lot worse. When I went and picked her up she was awake and alert and moving around which surprised me, apparently it was something to do with the fact that the vets administered the anaesthetic through the muscle rather than the vein, the vet told me they come around a lot faster when it's done that way.

I think the scabby bits are just her licking, they were there before I put her back with Levi and they haven't got any worse since I put them back together. I guess scabs are quite normal with wounds really, and as they aren't infected looking I'm pretty sure it's just her healing. To be honest, I don't really think she needs to go back to the vets tomorrow, she is eating like a horse and is behaving like her normal self. I don't think they are going to tell me anything I can't see for myself. Still, I better take her just to be sure.

That's good! Sounds like you had a very good vet! I wish mine was that good, she is relatively new, but eager to learn so I stick with her, and the vet nurse has had rabbits for over 10 years (all the same ones I think!) and she is really good with the buns, she was amazing after the spay when smokey was being difficult! I just hope I won't need to go back any time soon!
So I came down this morning, and they (I assume its smokey) have taken ALL of the bedding out of the nesting box and spread it absolutely everywhere... But they didn't pee in there, they used the tray so that's good! I think I will try and use a blanket anyway, as it is probably much more cozy then hay and straw!

Yep - I actually removed the divider so I could just put a massive litter tray at that end of the hutch. None of them ever used it to snuggle in in the winter so they obviously didn't need it. I just line the tray with straw in the winter with hay on top to help insulate it.

That what the bottom floor of the hutch is like, but they seem to have stopped going up there, maybe it was a one time thing :)

That's good! Sounds like you had a very good vet! I wish mine was that good, she is relatively new, but eager to learn so I stick with her, and the vet nurse has had rabbits for over 10 years (all the same ones I think!) and she is really good with the buns, she was amazing after the spay when smokey was being difficult! I just hope I won't need to go back any time soon!
So I came down this morning, and they (I assume its smokey) have taken ALL of the bedding out of the nesting box and spread it absolutely everywhere... But they didn't pee in there, they used the tray so that's good! I think I will try and use a blanket anyway, as it is probably much more cozy then hay and straw!

Yes, I think they are pretty decent tbh, probably more used to cats and dogs but a couple of the nurses have rabbits themselves and when I took daisy in I was told that they were all very excited to see her and that she would be getting lots of fuss as she was the only in-patient that day :) they always answer all my questions well, and have never given me incorrect info re. Feeding GA etc. the only thing I would say is that they only have daisy a 24 hour pain injection and said to go back if I needed more. I did question this at the time but accepted what they said and I think if I went again, I would insist on pain relief even just enough for a couple of days, as daisy was quite quiet the next day. Though she was eating and did come over for fussing when i went to see her, so in the end I didn't take her back. Still, you live and learn, as Levi and daisy are my first buns I'm learning as I go.

And re. Straw/hay. I remember the breeder I got Levi and daisy from said she just puts a pile of straw in the corner of the hutch when she cleans out her hutches and lets the buns organise it the way they want. :)

Yes, I think they are pretty decent tbh, probably more used to cats and dogs but a couple of the nurses have rabbits themselves and when I took daisy in I was told that they were all very excited to see her and that she would be getting lots of fuss as she was the only in-patient that day :) they always answer all my questions well, and have never given me incorrect info re. Feeding GA etc. the only thing I would say is that they only have daisy a 24 hour pain injection and said to go back if I needed more. I did question this at the time but accepted what they said and I think if I went again, I would insist on pain relief even just enough for a couple of days, as daisy was quite quiet the next day. Though she was eating and did come over for fussing when i went to see her, so in the end I didn't take her back. Still, you live and learn, as Levi and daisy are my first buns I'm learning as I go.

And re. Straw/hay. I remember the breeder I got Levi and daisy from said she just puts a pile of straw in the corner of the hutch when she cleans out her hutches and lets the buns organise it the way they want. :)

Robin and Smokey are my first too, but I doubt they will be my last! They are such lovley aninals! I have just put some fleecy blankets on their nesting area, which they have decided to burrow into, but no major chewing (just investigating) and only a few stray poops and they seemed to have been snuggling in them so they seem happy!

Back