• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

torn between rabbit breeds

lillylau

Warren Scout
I am a total new to rabbits, I am looking into getting a rabbit as a house bunny, my plan is to have a play pen for the rabbit regarding size depends on how big this will be, and to have the rabbit free ranging in the house for about 3 hours a day. I am torn between a French lop and a netherland dwarf, I know they are at different end of the scale but I like them both. Which is better for a beginner ?

to be honest it really depends on their personaility, I've had one nethie who was a right cow (I was always grateful that she had no front teeth :lol:) and one who is the sweetest rabbit you'll ever meet. What I'd recommend doing is going to a rescue center and picking a rabbit based on their personality rather than breed as that will determine how good they will be for a first time owner

to be honest it really depends on their personaility, I've had one nethie who was a right cow (I was always grateful that she had no front teeth :lol:) and one who is the sweetest rabbit you'll ever meet. What I'd recommend doing is going to a rescue center and picking a rabbit based on their personality rather than breed as that will determine how good they will be for a first time owner

This!

Rabbits have personalities, the breeds don't dictate this at all. French lops require a LOT of space, but I've heard nethies can be quite hyper and so do too. If you go to a rescue you know what you're getting, and can see how loving, mental or quiet the buns are.

Agree with this :)

I agree with georgey, I'd go to a rescue and find a pair of rabbits whose personalities suits you rather than going for breed.
Both breeds come with their problems, and both will need plenty of space.

Totally this.

thanks for the replies, can I ask if you have had either of these two breeds please would you tell me about them

I fostered a nethie x and he was very shy and jumpy, but I don't think that was anything to do with his breed just his personality and past. They are more prone to dental problems than some other rabbits though

I had a frenchie and I hate not having one any more, as soon as a suitable one comes along I will be bringing him home.
They're just so loveable. Very affectionate, not at all shy, they come across a little bit dim, they're so clumsy compared to how dainty and agile normal rabbits are. I just love them. The only downside is that they don't generally live as long as smaller breeds :(

thanks for the replies, can I ask if you have had either of these two breeds please would you tell me about them

my nethies are very small but absolutely full of energy. I currently have a nethie X and a lionhead living together in a 6x4ft shed with a 5x15ft aviary attached to it and I honestly think my nethie could do with more space. My nethies have always loved climbing on things and trying to get in to places that they shouldn't, they bomb up and down the garden if they're allowed to free range. They (like most rabbits) are determined to destroy things :lol: and when confined they throw dicky fits :lol:. In Jan and Feb this year I had my 2 in a pen and dog crate but Sebastian kept escaping :lol:

they're small but they need a lot of space

I have a french lop, shes about 8mths old so not fully grown yet and up until about 10 days ago was a complete madam but i think her spay might have just taken affect on her hormones and all of a sudden shes adorable!

shes very nosey and incredibly bold, not phased by anything and loves a cuddle and a fuss

i have her living in a hutch in my conservatory where she has free roam of if the weather is bad and also means she is out of the wind and rain in winter but the conservatory is always chilly so she doesnt get a big temp change if i decide its a nice wintery day and she can go out i her run

do bear in mind that they can do destruction on a grand scale, my carpet has really suffered as had an elec cable i discovered at the weekend (luckily switched off and now retaped and covered up by the boyf) also they eat like horses cos they have alot of growing to do

personally ive always been a big bunny person but i have to admit since joining this forum ive really fallen for some of the lil cuties people here have got!

Dogs were bred for specific personalities - aggression, determination, good at tracking etc. so the breed is a good clue to personality. Where as rabbits were breed for size or looks so there is very little difference between the personality of a French Lop and a Netherland Dwarf. Ask ten people what their Nethie is like and you'll get as many different answers. They can be aggressive, laid back, nervous, cuddly etc. etc.

If personality is important to you - and it sounds like it is (which is a good thing!) your best option is to meet some neuter adults or young adults. That way you'll get the best idea of whether they like interacting people or not. I say neutered because cute cuddly babies get hormones and that can completely change their personalities so no guarantee how they'll be once grown up.

Dogs were bred for specific personalities - aggression, determination, good at tracking etc. so the breed is a good clue to personality. Where as rabbits were breed for size or looks so there is very little difference between the personality of a French Lop and a Netherland Dwarf. Ask ten people what their Nethie is like and you'll get as many different answers. They can be aggressive, laid back, nervous, cuddly etc. etc.

If personality is important to you - and it sounds like it is (which is a good thing!) your best option is to meet some neuter adults or young adults. That way you'll get the best idea of whether they like interacting people or not. I say neutered because cute cuddly babies get hormones and that can completely change their personalities so no guarantee how they'll be once grown up.

What Tamsin said ^^

I have a nethie and love him to pieces, but he is probably the most expensive rabbit I will ever own :lol:. He has snuffles, dental spurs that need burring regularly, and overgrown tooth roots. The tooth root problems are likely to be linked to his breed, as they are bred with small, round heads so their teeth are all crammed into their tiny skull :(

If you are a new bunny owner, you could make a huge difference to a rescue (who would love you forever) by adopting a ready-bonded pair. I help with the rehoming for my local RSPCA Branch, and we have two pairs here at the moment - one pair has been here for 9 months and has just been reserved for their forever home. Not many people enquire about pairs, so we LOVE the people who do :lol::love:

I think I will get a pet rabbit that some one doesn't want the rabbit any more as a post to getting one from some one just breeding their rabbits when there are so many unwanted,

I think I will get a pet rabbit that some one doesn't want the rabbit any more as a post to getting one from some one just breeding their rabbits when there are so many unwanted,

great idea :thumb: if you go to a rescue they can help advise you as to which rabbits will suit you best and will know lots about their characters!

I had a frenchie and I hate not having one any more, as soon as a suitable one comes along I will be bringing him home.
They're just so loveable. Very affectionate, not at all shy, they come across a little bit dim, they're so clumsy compared to how dainty and agile normal rabbits are. I just love them. The only downside is that they don't generally live as long as smaller breeds :(

This! Frenchies are great. He was a rescue but had been spoiled as a single house bun so he and I became the absolute best of friends straight away. Atempts at bonding failed totally. I think he was glad to escape a little rescue cage to a house!

I've also had a Nethie. She was so sweet and gorgeous but very independent and not a cuddly bunny at all. She was a rescue, dumped when pregnant and remained quite scared generally.

The nethie was certainly easier to look after - fairly robust and self sufficient. Depends what you want really. Go and visit some maybe?

Stereotypically french lops are calmer and more friendly than nethies but there are plenty of lovely docile nethies and aggressive french lops, if you're after a rabbit with a certain personality then it's best to go to a rescue and choose an adult who's personality is already fully developed, nethies/french lops are very popular breeds but you may find another breed of rabbit you like even more. As gorgeous as baby rabbits are, there's no guarentee they'll turn out friendly, you can have a rabbit with two really friendly parents and raised from birth by the best owner possible and they can still end up aggressive or not willing to be handled, but with an adult what you see is what you get, it's usually easier to spot health problems with adults too :)

Back