• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rubber sheeting to cover outdoor runs

Angie B

Wise Old Thumper
Hi :wave: I currently have fairly thick "heavy duty" tarpaulin (which wasn't cheap) to cover the bunnies' outdoor run but in just a few short months it has gone very brittle and now has more holes in it than my bath sponge, mostly thanks to the high winds of today. It won't last this winter, that's for sure.

I was considering rubber sheeting; won't rot, flexible, heavy enough in itself so shouldn't need lots of bricks on it to keep it from flying away :roll: and of course waterproof - and judging by some of the examples on eBay, temperature proof from minus 20 to plus 110 degrees. I think that covers our British weather, don't you? :lol:

But they come in varying thicknesses; 1mm to 6mm I think. Obviously the thicker it is, the more expensive.

I was just wondering if anyone has rubber sheeting as their waterproof cover and if so: what thickness did you get; how long have you had it; has it worn at all i.e. cracked, gone brittle; is it easy to move (I will have to be able to move it due to having to get into the run itself via the "door" on the top); do you have the rubber so it overlaps itself i.e. like roof tiles and if so, does it leak; and so on.

Logging off now so will check tomorrow - thanks in advance :thumb:

This sounds like a good idea. Looking forward to any future responses!
I need to buy some sort of new cover myself asap.

ive seen people use plastic sheets, like those used on greenhouses? some people also use shower curtains

Thank you for replying :)

I have used shower curtains in the past (plastic ones) but they are quite flimsy and tear very easily and of course they're not very big - I need something to cover the 2 sides of the run as well as the top to keep out as much rain as possible when it's pouring down.

I currently am using a plastic sheet really, it's tarpaulin and heavy duty at that. I had a cheaper tarpaulin before but it was quite thin in comparison to this current one, but said current one has now had enough and there's a new hole every day. It won't be worth keeping it on soon.

The rubber sheets I've seen are only X wide and X long, so I'd need 2 at least but the 6mm thick ones are £36 per roll and given I need at least 2 ... :shock: It's cheaper to buy a new run!

I think I may just have to buy a new tarpaulin sheet instead. Ah well, it was worth a try :)

Decent quality pond liner may work as its everything proof.Just an idea.

That sounds like a good idea, never thought of that. I wonder how much they cost, what widths they do and how thick they are. Thanks for that, shall have a look into that over the weekend. I really want a cover made to measure by the eBay man but he's doing a hutch cover for me right now and can't justify spend £250 in one go for both hutch and run.

we have corrgated roofing screwed on ours and I made clear pvc windows for the sides.
Hate to be thick ... Honestly I do but does the water then just not sit on top ? My playhouse and run is against a fence so have been pondering how to make it more dry as the tarp is letting a lot through and my buns are not impressed !

Decent quality pond liner may work as its everything proof.Just an idea.

That's a good idea; will look into it - thank you!

we have corrgated roofing screwed on ours and I made clear pvc windows for the sides.

See the roof of our run opens to allow access, so whatever goes on the top has to be mobile. Good idea for the sides though!

I will suggest both of the above to hubby and see what he thinks.

Thanks!

Back