• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Anyone used Companion Care vets for a spay or neuter?

Rach210

Alpha Buck
If so how was it? I have always been a bit put off these vet practices simply because they are in P@H stores but I have a voucher to get Jasper neutered for free because he came from P@H adoption centre and I was thinking of booking Misty in for her spay at the same time if possible so that they could both be done and bonding could commence in a few weeks. My nearest one is nearly an hours drive away but it'll still be cheaper to get Jasper done there for free than to pay for it.

Also, how long is it generally between dropping your rabbit off and collecting them post surgery? I'll need to find something to do while he/they are in there.

Can't help with the vet but regarding the length of time they are in there, a decent vet will normally wait until they have eaten/pooped before letting them go home. The length of time also depends on when they do the surgery. I often find I drop Ash off for her routine dentals at 8.30am but they don't start the surgery til 3pm because they do the more urgent surgeries first. Sometimes she is in there about 8 hours before I bring her home.

They are all just vet practices under the Companion Care broad umbrella. They are therefore all different, so you'd be best off asking whether anyone has used the particular branch you are interested in.

I use a Companion Care vets near here, but everything depends on the individual vets that run it, as all vet practices do.

People will probably be more help if you say which location it is you'll be using. :wave:
different companion cares will have different vets so one branch might be much better than another.

I think when we had our girls spayed we dropped them off around 9 and picked them up at 3 when they were totally awake and eating/drinking.

I took our stray male rabbit to Companion care at Birstall P@H because a dog rescue used them and very kindly offered to contribute to his neuter.

I found them brilliant. They talked me through the whole procedure, what to expect afterwards etc.

I took him at 9am with a packed lunch of all his favourites, then I rang at 3pm to find out how he was and if he was ok to come home. Picked him up at teatime.

he went back 2 days later for a check up with the nurse then again 10 days after that.

They had an offer on at the time it was £75 for a neuter.

I wouldn't swap from my own vet but they wanted £101 to neuter him and although I do trust them and they have an excellent rabbit vet I just couldn't refuse the generours offer made be the dog rescue.

My first rabbit I had neutered at the cheapest place and was fine, but then being on this forum I wanted my second rabbit to be done by a rabbit savvy vets as I didn't know with the first the risks of going to a vet where they don't know a lot about rabbits. I rang the vet I went to and asked how they did it and what drugs they used and googled them, turned out they used an antibiotic that wasn't good for rabbits! I then rang 2 rabbit savvy top vets I found on google and asked how they did it and it matched what google said so then I "interviewed" My local vets until I found one that did it the same as my research
http://rabbitresource.org/surgery-considerations/
This is the information I based finding my vets on

Back