• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Moving house - worried

bridget

Alpha Buck
Hey there bunny-loving friends.

We are due to move house soon and we're worried about the effect this will have on our bunnies. They are SO content where we are and feel almost mean that we're taking them away from what they know and love. Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone had any tips? They're outdoor rabbits and have the run of the whole garden as it's totally secure and we're just on an estate. However, we're moving to the country and the gardens are very open so we've got to get those secured before letting them out. Also really worried about foxes etc. The gardens are a lot bigger where we're moving to and there is a large patio area and was thinking of lifting some of that up first, grassing it, getting that area secure and then hopefully that will be a start? The house move itself is stressful enough but we seem more stressed worrying about our buns being happy! :D We will be taking their hutch and their "house" too.

I always get them ready to move last and settled first the other end. I try to put them in a quiet room where they are away from all the hussle and bussle so they don't get stressed. We've moved more times than I can remember and have alot of buns, they've always seemed a lot less worried about it than me. :lol:

I felt like this about our dogs when we moved last year. As Amy104 says, we moved our dogs last and settled them in to a quiet room (with their beds) first. I am sure your rabbits will be fine with their own hutch and hidy house as a familiar base. They will probably enjoy exploring their new area.

Some people have those electronic fox watch things to deter foxes. May be worth researching.

Yep move them last and settle them first. Ours loved having somewhere new to explore. We moved whilst Pooka was ill, and I had to come down here early one day before moving to wait for a delivery so the living room was empty, she was thrilled! Had the whole room to run about it, cue lots of binkies and flops.

I would say however you do it any place where they'll be free ranging will want a meshed roof, birds of prey are bad enough in the city let alone the countryside, and foxes aren't deterred by walls.

Thank you for replying. Yes, they were going to be the last item "packed". I am sure they will love looking around their new garden once it is secured and I will get some pictures of them settling in. Thanks again.

I bough a fox watch for our new house and haven't seen Mr Fox since, so assume its doing its job.

I also have a niteguard, which is a red led that represents eyes and makes the fox think another fox is already in the garden - they wont enter another foxes territory.

Back