• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Eyes

RavenMoon

Mama Doe
This may be absolutely nothing. As a note Pooka has seen the vets quite a bit and they've never said anything about her eyes, she doesn't have dental issues etc.

I was wondering if its normal for rabbits to get residue in the corner of their eyes like we do. It sounds daft, but I've never seen it on the boys, but then they have each other to groom it off. Pooka sometimes gets little bits in the corner of her eyes like sleep, but it's not white gunk, just a little crusty. I've only noticed it when she's been apart from the boys, so I'm wondering if its normal, but just want to know if it is or if it could be a sign of something else. She's fine in herself, and purrs when I groom her eyes with the side of my fingers the way I've seen the boys do with their tongue.

I'm not an authority on this but I have a feeling I might have read something that said rabbits can get gunky eyes just like we do. I'd just clean it up and see what happens (this might be totally wrong I could easily have dreamt this up! Haha)

I'm not an authority on this but I have a feeling I might have read something that said rabbits can get gunky eyes just like we do. I'd just clean it up and see what happens (this might be totally wrong I could easily have dreamt this up! Haha)

This is what I'm thinking, I'm fairly certain that white sticky stuff can suggest blocked tear ducts, but this seems more like dust and things being swept to the corner of the eye, which I presume is like what we get. Rather sound overly paranoid though when it comes to my buns.

Back