• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Losing animals

FudgeTort

Wise Old Thumper
Is it common for it to happen all at once?

I lost Molly in January, Tula in August and now Brian. All totally unrelated but I feel like I did something wrong.

I'm worried people are going to assume its because I had a baby but that is NOT true. I spent as much time as I possibly could with my animals and cared for them so much always.

It never rains but it pours :( These things just happen sometimes I suppose, it was obviously nothing you did wrong xx

Aww, sending hugs to you today. We always have quite a lot of animals, and sometimes we have lost 2 quite close together, you mustn't blame yourself for this, I spend most of my time looking after them but you can't help when they get old, catch freak illnesses or have accidents.
Those people who only have one or 2 pets at a time aren't going to have the losses that can unfortunately happen close together sometimes, but they haven't experienced the joys of having and loving the multiple pets either. Its not your fault, It doesn't make it any easier though :cry:

I totally understand where youre coming friom, if I have buns that are poorly at the same time I can see people wondering what Ive done wrong :shock: :evil:

It's all a horrible coincidence though, you know that and we know that. Rabbits especially are such fragile creatures :cry:

Please don't let what any ignorant people might think upset you, it's a tough enough time as it is :cry:

(((((((HUGS)))))))))

Thank you. Molly died suddenly, I think it was a heart attack. Tula the cat had a burst blood clot and had to be PTS and Brian got ill on Friday and passed away yesterday. So not related. But I've never lost pets before then I lose 3 in the space of 9 months.

Is it common for it to happen all at once?

I lost Molly in January, Tula in August and now Brian. All totally unrelated but I feel like I did something wrong.

I'm worried people are going to assume its because I had a baby but that is NOT true. I spent as much time as I possibly could with my animals and cared for them so much always.

After the year I have had, definitely yes :cry:

Big hugs, its natural to feel like that especially when they come so close together. I lost two bunnies in May this year but the deaths were totally unrelated (stroke and septicemia) as were the circumstances. But the timing was cruel. But please don't blame yourself. You did everything you could and your lovely pets will know that. Thanks to you they had love and safety and relief from pain.

It's just the worst of unfortunate coincidences. :(
I lost Fatty, Gio, Larry, yellow mouse, Wombat and Eli all within months of each other (Gio and yellow mouse on the same day) and it's been really tough. I've had people insinuate it was my fault and I must be doing something wrong so I know how you must be feeling, but you know you did all you can so try not to worry about anyone else.

I'm so sorry you lost them. I would never presume that someone had doe something wrong if their pets passed around the same time, sometimes life is just unfair. You're just grieving and it's natural to question yourself, which has led to you wondering if others are too. It's just a string of bad coincidences unfortunately :cry:

I know how hard it is to lose your beloved animals within a short time of each other. I went through a very hard period when I was in my late teens/early 20's. I was getting horrible headaches and no body could explain why. I was spending months in the hospital and became very depressed. I had to leave college (and I loved college,) I could not read my beloved books, I could not hang out with my friends (bless them, they came into the hospital and my folks house to see me,) and I could not work. My mother had a very sweet cocker spaniel named Spanky and my sister had a loving cockatiel named Pepsi who made me laugh when I was home, but I needed more. I ended up adopting a coonhound whom I named, Bayou. Bayou was what I needed in my laugh. He was loving dubbed meatloaf with legs and Bayou the chicken hearted. Spanky was an old man when we adopted Bayou. Bayou wanted to play and Spanky would have nothing to do with it. But, Spanky loved to get Bayou in trouble and it was so funny to see them together. Pepsi could talk and her favorite thing to do was to call Bayou's name and laugh when he came running into the room looking for a human. All three of them made me laugh and I began to feel better (it was never figured out why I was getting these headaches, I still get killer migraines now.) Bayou ended up getting cancer and I did all I could to treat him (spent crazy money.) On Christmas Day of that year, Spanky suffered a stroke and had to be put down a couple of weeks later. Then in February of that year, Pepsi mysteriously dropped dead. Then on March 31, (I remember because that is my father's birthday and Bayou's birthday was April 1,) Bayou succumbed to his cancer. I was devastated by the loss of all three of them in a short while and felt like I was the unluckiest person on Earth. A good friend of mine told me that these animals came into our lives when we needed them and when they needed us (Spanky was being abused at his first home, Pepsi was a cockatiel who was in a bird pet shop that was going out of business and needed to get rid of their birds pronto, by any means if you get me, and because Bayou was a coward and scared of gunshots, his breeder was going to put him down.) Animals are angels and come into our lives when we need them and hopefully we can be there when they need us (there is a similar story with me and Bojangles.)

You were a special person to all your bunnies and they love you and always will.

seems to just happen that way sometimes yes. i've lost both ches and matt this year. i pray the others won't be going anywhere anytime soon. i don't think i could handle it again. :cry:

I had an awful year last year. I lost Bluebell who had health issues, but lost a piggie the very next day for unknown reasons. Then a couple of months later I lost Bracken and two days later lost Apollo to totally unrelated illnesses. I then lost Willow a few months later and gerbil on the same day. Then I lost another piggy. It got to the stage I dreaded going out in the garden for fear of what I'd find. I only went out when I had to (feeding, cleaning etc) and stopped spending time with them for cuddles/noserubs. It took me a long time to get over it, I am only just enjoying my buns again instead of stressing about them and now Comet is poorly. :(

Back