• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What is the largest breed of rabbit in the world?

NicNac

New Kit
I'm looking into getting a flem giant but have seen out other breeds names been thrown into the mix as being the largest breeds such as German giants or Continental Giants can someone please help clear this for me?

I'm not actually sure. I do know that giant breeds are prone to a lot of health problems though. :( It's common for them to die young so please do your research carefully before going down this route.

I may be wrong but I think British Giants are heaviest and Contis are longest.

D'Argo is about 6.8kg not much heavier than my Frenchie Falon but a lot bigger.

It is sad they are prone to health probs. i do worry for D.

What country do you live in because the breeds vary between the UK and other places like the USA

What country do you live in because the breeds vary between the UK and other places like the USA

Hi I live in ireland, Im unable to find a Continental Giant or an English Giant, But I have found Flemish Giant Buck for sale 2 months old. What size could I expect this rabbit to grow if I was to him?

All im really looking to find out is will there be a massive difference in size between, a German, English, Flemish and Continental Giant or are all very similar. I will have the rabbit outside in summer and in our well insulated shed in the winter in a large Pen.

Bentley my Continental Giant is 7kg.
7kg is a big rabbit, I have enough room for one and think it will be nice to have a Giant, I suppose they must all be around the same size and since femish is available to me I best just go with it.

If the rabbit is going to be living outside they really benefit from a friend, so you'd be better to get 2 regular sized rabbits who will fit in your available space.

Or maybe a giant and a smaller rabbit, if there isn't sufficient space for two giants. Bentley lives with Minnie who is 3kg.

I don't think there's much size difference but I have to echo the comments that a lone bun shouldn't be outside on it's own (or even inside on it's own ideally).
They also need a huge amount of room. What size accommodation were you planning?

I've been looking at giants as I just lost my french lop, but I don't know if it would be fair to keep one in my 8x6 shed and 8x8 run. They really do need tonnes of room.

I had a 10kg conti. He was a big one though:love:

10kg is at the upper end but still a perfectly normal weight for a conti:thumb:

They are quite lean bunnies really but long - about 3 feet or so.... :)

See Hector below....

There's a pic of them on this thread, post 17

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?378427-Happy-Valentine-s-Day!-Lets-see-your-loved-up-pet-pics-lt-3/page2

The last time we were at the vets a little boy peeped into their carrier and asked if Minnie was Bentley's baby. :D

Wow, he wasn't as big as I thought actually. I thought a 7kg was going to be massive! Well, he is a large bunny, but not as big as I was expecting. I was worrying about one day introducing my three to each other when the babies are old enough and Slipper's a dwarf lop x lionhead and Badger & Blueberry are mini lion lops so was worrying Slipper may hurt them, but guess not as their size discrepancy won't be as much as your two.

Back