• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

I think Fiver had a small seizure tonight :(

MimzMum

Wise Old Thumper
I was just coming into the room so missed most of it, but I could hear what sounded like rapid thumping, when I got to him he was laying as if he'd been napping but his rear legs were spasming and then they stopped and he just seemed really out of it. I think his head may have twitched a bit as well.
He looks fine now (this was an hour ago) but I'm worried. He's only 5 or 6 years old. In fact I think I missed his Gotcha day too. :(
What's ailing my little man? Will it happen again and could it kill him? :cry:

how worrying. i wish i could offer advice. bisc does twitch quite alot sometimes when asleep, twitching his legs, head and even moving his mouth :shock: it's when he is dreaming. could it be that or does it seem worse than that and you feel it was something more serious? x

Poor chap :cry:

There are many possible causes of seizures, if indeed that is what it was. Some possibilities are EC, bacterial infection effecting the brain, advanced cardiac disease and metabolic diseases.

How is he doing now ?

Thank you for your replies everyone. :)

No I don't think it was dreaming movements as they were loud kicks he was doing and not the kind of twitching he does while sleeping. I only saw a few seconds and it wasn't even five in total from the time I heard him flailing and came running. :(

He seems fine today, Jane. He was just at the vet a month ago and she didn't find anything obviously wrong with him. His heart sounded good and his teeth were fine. He eats well and poos better than the other two currently.

But because of Mimzy's head tilt and Pip's seizure last year I can't rule out E.C. They all went on a 28 day course of panacur as per vets orders. I was obsessive about their cleaning routine. Not that this would matter if they were exposed as babies. He just seems young for such health problems as what you listed. But I'm thinking that Fiver could be older than we first thought as well.

Is there anything I should watch for? :(

Thank you for your replies everyone. :)

No I don't think it was dreaming movements as they were loud kicks he was doing and not the kind of twitching he does while sleeping. I only saw a few seconds and it wasn't even five in total from the time I heard him flailing and came running. :(

He seems fine today, Jane. He was just at the vet a month ago and she didn't find anything obviously wrong with him. His heart sounded good and his teeth were fine. He eats well and poos better than the other two currently.

But because of Mimzy's head tilt and Pip's seizure last year I can't rule out E.C. They all went on a 28 day course of panacur as per vets orders. I was obsessive about their cleaning routine. Not that this would matter if they were exposed as babies. He just seems young for such health problems as what you listed. But I'm thinking that Fiver could be older than we first thought as well.

Is there anything I should watch for? :(

Things like odd 'absences' or other neurological symptoms. Also the usual monitoring of eating/drinking/pooing and weeing to make sure all remain 'normal' for him. Probably a good idea to weigh him every few days too. Unexplained weightloss often indicates a problem of some sort.

Hope he doesn't have any more episodes xx

Am I right in presuming if he has a neurological problem there's little that can be done to treat it? :(
I'm thinking of the first year of his life...before I adopted him...his being a plaything for four little eight year old boys. :evil:
There are a few things he's displayed over the years that I can't explain..odd mouth movements and facial tics that we couldn't attribute to dental issues.
He has slowed down in the last few months. I've watched him all day today and he does seem to have moments where he stares off and it takes a few calls to bring him to attention.
:(
Now I'm really worried. :(

I hope that Fiver is okay. Sending lots of vibes for him. Sounds like he had a tough start in life,
He is very lucky to have made it to you.

Well I wasn't able to watch him all day today, but he seems to be doing okay.
Luckily, when Pip had her seizure it was only the one. I hope it will be the same way with Fiver.

Thank you all for the kind words and wishes for my wee laddie. :)

Oh poor Fiver. Sounds like a traumatic first year for him ...

Hope he stays in good health for many happy years with you.

Back