• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Scab on back of neck.. Possibly mites?

DwarfBuns

Warren Scout
My new bunny, Daphne, has a really small scab on the back of her neck. It was only by chance that I noticed it to be honest! It's not really noticeable & doesn't seem to be bothering her at all. She's a very clean bun, likes to groom, but she's not really been scratching a whole lot. I can get her into the Vets next week, obviously they're closed tomorrow & it's not worthy of an emergency appointment.

If it is mites, where do I stand with my other pets? She & Niles both played in the lounge today, separately.. Could mites have gone into the carpet & then onto him? Should I get him treated too? Will my Vet need to see him first to diagnose if he has any or just treat anyway? Also.. My dog has been near her, will he need treating too? Thankfully the other pets are away from her so they're not at risk.

Could there be any other causes for the slight scabbing? I've only just got her home so maybe she caught herself while she was at the rescue maybe? Should I just monitor her & take her to the Vets if it doesn't get better/gets worse?

Ash had this when she has fleas. Try parting the fur on the back of her neck, if the skin looks red and/or you can see black things darting around then that's fleas ;) Mites are a bit more difficult to spot, they have to look at them under the microscope.

You can get flea (and mite, I think) treatment at pet shops but I have always used Advantage which you can only get on prescription.

Ash had this when she has fleas. Try parting the fur on the back of her neck, if the skin looks red and/or you can see black things darting around then that's fleas ;) Mites are a bit more difficult to spot, they have to look at them under the microscope.

You can get flea (and mite, I think) treatment at pet shops but I have always used Advantage which you can only get on prescription.

I couldn't really see anything on there moving.. In fact, having had a closer look, it doesn't really look like a scab. Just a teeny tiny bit of dry skin. :/ Not sure what's up with her. Obviously it's not normal, whatever it is! There's no real redness.. Am I panicking over nothing? I can't see signs of anything else on her, no more scabs/dry skin, no fur loss, nothing.

If it could be mites, is it worth getting her seen by a Vet or can I just use OTC stuff from a pet shop? Would my dog be covered by his Frontline at all? x

ETA - No recent vaccination, she & Niles will hopefully be going soon to get that done. Although I suppose that depends on whatever this is.. Not sure if the Vet will vaccinate her where the patch is :/

I tend to take mine to the vets rather than over the counter stuff. One of my buns had mites earlier this year and it took 3 injections to clear it. It was just like dandruff but did not move around her lower back. The vet could not determine that under the microscope that it was defo mites so we treated just in case.

I tend to take mine to the vets rather than over the counter stuff. One of my buns had mites earlier this year and it took 3 injections to clear it. It was just like dandruff but did not move around her lower back. The vet could not determine that under the microscope that it was defo mites so we treated just in case.

That's what I'm thinking.. And most sites online say that for certain types of mite they have to have injections, as opposed to sprays. I could book them in for vaccs next week & see what the vet says about the patch. If she does need treatment then is it likely that the vaccs will have to be put off? I might try to get Niles vaccinated anyway.

Back