• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help fellow rabbit parents!

purplesponge

Warren Scout
Today my landlord told me that a neighbours husky escaped from its garden into ours and was trying to get into both the rabbits hutches! The woman came and collected the dog, and he gave her a fair warning, but he doesn't think she will do anything about the dog escaping as it happens a lot.

I'm now worried sick that something is gonna happen whilst I'm not here to protect them. Especially as we are in the process of building a nice run for them, which I imagine would be a lot easier to get into for such a big dog!

Please does anyone have any suggestions what to do. It's a row of connected gardens, and each one has a flimsy (and low!) chicken wire fence, which the dog jumps over and under! :O

The only thing I can think of is to construct a taller fence, but I really would like this to be a last resort, as it's my landlords house AND it's not even our dog!

Sorry for the long rant :/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Oh no :(

What are the fastenings like on your rabbit hutches? The problem is I think that bunnies can die of shock even if the dog doesn't get in! Are you able to perhaps build a shed for them so they have somewhere bigger to hide and probably more difficult for a dog to get into?

Sorry you're having to do this.

What about getting a dog kennel and run for the rabbits instead? The size big enough for rabbits are designed to keep german shepherd type dogs in so are bound to keep them out too as long as you have dome nice secure bolts fitted.

I remember thinking about dog proofing the rabbit enclosure when I got them. We were not sure if my dogs chase instincts would kick in, with him being a working collie it could have gone two ways. It turns out we didn't need to worry - he guards them and lies by the run, the rabbits are used to him now.

But if it went differently and the dog showed signs of trying to get to them we were going to buy solid mesh - the really heavy duty stuff that is more like galvanised steel bars. It's not cheap per panel, but if you are really worried and the dog gets into your garden a lot you might want to consider it.

http://www.fhbrundle.co.uk/products/010284118__1220_x_2440mm_1_x_1_x_8g_4_x_8_Galvanised_Welded_Mesh

Here is a link to the heavy duty stuff we were going to use - super expensive for a panel, but you can get a slightly different gauge for a lower price and this would do the front of most runs. You could then overlap a few layers of your existing mesh for the sides and bolt the back of the run onto something solid (the back of the shed, a concrete wall, the hutch etc)

The one down (10g) is just over £40 so much more reasonable and perfectly strong enough to keep out even the most determined big dog

I think you will need to speak to the owner and then maybe the dog warden. Anyone who thinks a fence under 6ft is going to keep a Husky in is, frankly, an idiot and a 6ft fence isn't likely to either. They're escape artists and if they can't get over it, they'll get under. Especially if they know there are rabbits near, they have a very high prey drive. :(

You could ask the neighbour if she'd be willing to keep the dog on a longline when it's in the garden, or supervise/train it?

Otherwise, I agree a sturdy dog kennel and run is probably your best option, but I'd still be cautious in the case of huskies tbh, they're very determined and destructive.

Back