• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How much chasing would you allow?

midori1999

Alpha Buck
I brought a new rescue bun, Pepe home yesterday as a husbun for my newly single bun, Sweetie.

They were put together at the rescue and all went very well, so as we've done previously we brought them home together in the cat carrier and popped them into the neutralised accommodation when we got back home. There was some minor chasing yesterday (Sweetie chasing Pepe) but not much and he is staying out of her way but occasionally trying to approach her and he's happy to have a little explore too. The same today. They are both eating well and drinking, but I'm worried about stress to them, particularly Pepe.

I'm wondering at what point to separate them as I can halve the Wendy house if I need to. However, I'm reluctant to separate at all really as I feel it may be a backward step and perhaps I'm panicking a bit. This is only my third bonding.

Pets that are playing with each other just do so until they get bored and run off on their own. If one of the rabbits is being bothered by the other one while eating, drinking or sleeping, it would be best to separate them and limit their interaction during times when they both should be playing.

Hope this helps. It's what I do with my pets. I own a dog, a rabbit and a hamster so rabbit to rabbit interactions may be different.

If they're new pets, you might want to inspect both for cuts/nicks/scratches/etc. especially after playing. I hear female rabbits can be quite territorial compared to males so Sweetie can be wary of someone approaching her den. Just keep your first sessions relatively short - say about 5-10 minutes before gradually increasing the time they spend together.

Back