• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Belgian hare owners/fosterers

my two are brothers. they are adventuous, confident and athletic. born escape artists and need lots of space . intellegent and playful. mine do not like being picked up but are not easily frightended and not scared of being picked up- they just don't like it. were VERY aggressive when introduced to their pal a mini lop- bit me. bit her and bit each other but once got over it were very loveing with her.my new neighbours have a rabbit- they are annoyed and spend a long time peering though hedge at her looking angry-quite terratorial.

they play games- one of mine likes to sneak up behind me when i am sat on grass reading a book and nip me on bottom! then leaps back sitting on hind legs with an expression on HA!!! they do this to each other too to provoke a good chase game but don't break skin- it is their version of 'tag'

they are bright- they watch me going into their area of garden then go investigate the gate to check if i have locked it properly- if i haven't then they are through it and off to the forbidden areas of garden.

no rabbit is a 'childs pet' but belgians i think are definatly not for unsupervised children. they have very powerful back legs- and a very sharp bite and are not afraid to use either if mishandled. they need to run. they need lots of things to do- ie willow to destroy etc or they will start chewing up their housing. i feel if kept too confined they could be very nasty tempered through fustration . they are bright enough to know their owner and won't necessarily be social with other people- my two tend to keep well clear of visitors.

my two seem to have a lot more 'instincts' then my mini lop- she is daft little thing that sometimes stamps for no reason or flees back to hutch because a sparrow has flown over- the boys are more savy. they run for cover if my hens give alarm call or they hear or see a real preditor but they don't worry over harmless things once they have sussed what it is.
they will not accept my dog. dislike her and get out of way- i think they have sense to realise she is a dangerous type of pedititor regardless of how friendly she is- my mini lop got used to her and is foolishly unafraid.

I have a Belgian hare X called Freddie :)

He is lovely, very playful and he likes to explore.
He need's a lot of space as he loves to binky all the time and bunny 500 and he can binky 2ft in the air.
He likes jumping up on things and generally being high up :)
He'll sit in my lap for cuddles and will snuggle on the couch watching tv with you.

He's very intelligent and devious, he worked out how to escape from two different carriers while he was in waiting on us cleaning his litter tray.
he liked chewing the door frames when he was in a different room from us. ALL my door frames.
He also knows how to open cage doors and stuff.
He's such an awesome wee (not really wee he's quite big actually) guy.

The only problem i've found is that when attempting to bond him he is overly humpy, which is why he's still on his own till I have time to attempt to slow bond him with Parsley.
He locked on while humping as well and kept going even when the other bunny had submitted.

544539_552906391416440_1062618333_n.jpg

My beautiful boy :love:
I'd love one day to rescue a full Belgian hare, I think they're all so lovely :)

Back