• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit waste disposal

Rhian33

Warren Veteran
Hoping someone can come up with a suggestion for me regarding disposal of rabbit (and pet rat) waste. Currently where we live our concil is happy to take our animal waste in our green bin so we fill that up and then use the black bin when it's full (would have asked for another green bin if we had space!) and we fill almost 2 wheely bins a fortnight with mainly animal stuff which works fine.

However, this week we are moving to a different county where animal waste is only accepted in the black bin. Clearly we will have leftover waste. I'm more than happy to take extra rubbish to the dump but none of the local recycling centres will accept animal waste. I had considered a compost heap but I think we produce too much for that to be a viable option. Has this happened to anyone else and if so what do you do about disposal?

I put out about six bag fulls a week. So far its been taken. I do feel concious that we have loads more bags out than everybody else though.

If there are farms near by, ask if you would be allowed to put it in with their animal waste. When I have to much to go in the green bin I do that. It probably helps if you get to know the farmer first though. My Uncle is ok with me disposing of rabbit waste that way, so I'm sure most would be, I'm not sure about the rat waste though. If there are stables near by they would be another one to ask, as they often sell it off to gardeners.

Other than that you would probably have to ask your nearest waste disposal.

I put out about six bag fulls a week. So far its been taken. I do feel concious that we have loads more bags out than everybody else though.

They will only take what's in the wheely bin, no extra bags

Can it not go in the general rubbish department of the recycling centre?

No, it says no animal waste or bedding accepted at the Recycling centre hence my problem

If there are farms near by, ask if you would be allowed to put it in with their animal waste. When I have to much to go in the green bin I do that. It probably helps if you get to know the farmer first though. My Uncle is ok with me disposing of rabbit waste that way, so I'm sure most would be, I'm not sure about the rat waste though. If there are stables near by they would be another one to ask, as they often sell it off to gardeners.

Will keep that in mind. May ask as the place I plan to buy my hay from. Rat stuff can go in general waste so not an issue but can't fit the bunnt waste as well.

Other than that you would probably have to ask your nearest waste disposal.

Waste disposal? Skip hire you mean?

i used to put mine in black bags inside 'normal' bin.

I have just invested in a black composter as I reckon rabbit poo will help break down the hay, and can put lawn cuttings and uncooked veg in it. If it works, I'll have a second one!

i used to put mine in black bags inside 'normal' bin.

But my problem is that where I currently am I effectively have 2 lots of bins as it can go in either black or green waste. In the new place it can only go in the same sized balck bin which is only emptied fortnightly so no space.

If we have any left over we just chuck it in the household waste at the dump :oops: never read the signs or thought it wasn't allowed :oops:

If we have any left over we just chuck it in the household waste at the dump :oops: never read the signs or thought it wasn't allowed :oops:

Problem with that is that here they've started quizzing you about what you are throwing away and they go through and open the bags too to check that it's all allowed/put in the right skip

Problem with that is that here they've started quizzing you about what you are throwing away and they go through and open the bags too to check that it's all allowed/put in the right skip

ah ours dont do that, there's never anyone there... well there is but they don't speak to you

We only have two bins here - green for recycling cardboard and cans and black for household rubbish. I put the bunny waste in the household rubbish bin but as they only collect once a fortnight I have to drive to the tip at least once a week with the extra bags. It's fine now when they are open until 7.00 pm but once they close at 4.00 pm it is a nightmare as at weekends you have to queue for a very long time:( and I don't get home from work until after 4.00 pm in the week.

We only have two bins here - green for recycling cardboard and cans and black for household rubbish. I put the bunny waste in the household rubbish bin but as they only collect once a fortnight I have to drive to the tip at least once a week with the extra bags. It's fine now when they are open until 7.00 pm but once they close at 4.00 pm it is a nightmare as at weekends you have to queue for a very long time:( and I don't get home from work until after 4.00 pm in the week.

It's good the tip takes it in your area. Ours won't. Going to have to call the council next week I think but can't see them being helpful

what bedding to you use? allotments might take it if compostable.

Trays are lined with newspaper with hay on top. Nothing fancy :lol:. Good idea about the allotments although I'm not sure if there are many around as where we are moving has lots of fields around and people have big gardens. Worth checking though so thanks.

try asking the council for an extra or larger bin. some will , some won't but nothing lost by asking.
our council recently introduced wheely bins and i asked for a larger one due to having animals and GOT one! my neighbours are jealous lol didn't think I'd get one but they were helpful and handed it over-double standard size.

Oooh, I will ask on Monday. I have to call to ask for a garden waste thingy anyway as there didn't appear to be one

Hoping someone can come up with a suggestion for me regarding disposal of rabbit (and pet rat) waste. Currently where we live our concil is happy to take our animal waste in our green bin so we fill that up and then use the black bin when it's full (would have asked for another green bin if we had space!) and we fill almost 2 wheely bins a fortnight with mainly animal stuff which works fine.

However, this week we are moving to a different county where animal waste is only accepted in the black bin. Clearly we will have leftover waste. I'm more than happy to take extra rubbish to the dump but none of the local recycling centres will accept animal waste. I had considered a compost heap but I think we produce too much for that to be a viable option. Has this happened to anyone else and if so what do you do about disposal?

Not moving to Bedfordshire by any chance!

The only way we can get rid of ours is by being on very good terms with someone with a large allotment. But it is a nightmare

Are you sure it means general household waste rather than green composting waste at the househole and waste recycling site??

Where I live you cannot put rabbit bedding in the green bin and once at the site it says you cannot put it into the green skip for garden waste but you can put it in the household general waste as long as it is double bagged.

Alternatively could you take your own household water to tip once a week and use your grey? bin for bunny bedding well bagged?

Back