• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Best company for rabbit insurance

Emmzie

Warren Scout
I'm sure this has been asking before but I would like a list of pet insurers to compare online and what your reviews are from your experience as I'm happy to inform you all I have reserved two little mini lops who will be ready soon but the breeder will be keeping them until I suitable Wendy house or shed as I'm still researching :) one little black buck and one little orange doe.

After the experience of Fudge the insurance is very important!

~ Emmzie x

I haven't used mine yet but after asking for recommendations on here I chose Pet Plan. They do Cover for Life which I felt was very important.

I haven't used mine yet but after asking for recommendations on here I chose Pet Plan. They do Cover for Life which I felt was very important.

I've just looked at them :) quoted £10 odd a month which is good for two buns!

I'm not sure of any other companies that offer rabbit insurance?

~ Emmzie x

I don't use it but looked into it recently, there's only four companies I think, petplan, pets at home, help u cover and exotic direct so it's worth getting quotes from them all and reading through their terms and conditions. Look into them carefully though, they have to be vaccinated up to date all the time for example

I'm sure this has been asking before but I would like a list of pet insurers to compare online and what your reviews are from your experience as I'm happy to inform you all I have reserved two little mini lops who will be ready soon but the breeder will be keeping them until I suitable Wendy house or shed as I'm still researching :) one little black buck and one little orange doe.

After the experience of Fudge the insurance is very important!

~ Emmzie x

I'm not up with insurance :oops: but just wanted to say how happy I am that you have found a pair of bunnies... You just know we are gonna need pics right?! :lol:

Xx

I've just looked at them :) quoted £10 odd a month which is good for two buns!

I'm not sure of any other companies that offer rabbit insurance?

~ Emmzie x

I also looked at exotic direct, but the cover for life aspect wasn't immediately clear on their website, so I decided to go with petplan. And £10? Is that for each bun? I pay £20 a month for mine combined (£10 each)

I'm not up with insurance :oops: but just wanted to say how happy I am that you have found a pair of bunnies... You just know we are gonna need pics right?! :lol:

Xx

I second this btw! I'm really glad you have decided to get two more buns. I followed Fudge's story on here and it broke my heart. We will definitely need pictures :)

I second this btw! I'm really glad you have decided to get two more buns. I followed Fudge's story on here and it broke my heart. We will definitely need pictures :)

Aww thank you both. :) I wasn't going to if I'm honest but after seeing them and getting bunny cuddles it melted my heart. I have learnt from my mistakes, so getting two so they have company and a bigger space and insurance :) I even met Fudges dad when we went to view the bunnies, he was a spit of him and I did cry a bit.

It probably is £10 for each bun I would of thought but I'm on my phone at the moment so couldn't read it properly but will go on my laptop later and have a good look xx

~ Emmzie x

Aww thank you both. :) I wasn't going to if I'm honest but after seeing them and getting bunny cuddles it melted my heart. I have learnt from my mistakes, so getting two so they have company and a bigger space and insurance :) I even met Fudges dad when we went to view the bunnies, he was a spit of him and I did cry a bit.

It probably is £10 for each bun I would of thought but I'm on my phone at the moment so couldn't read it properly but will go on my laptop later and have a good look xx

~ Emmzie x

Awwwwww... I bet it was a mixture of emotion seeing Fudge's dad. Soon you will have two beautiful cuddle buns to run around after - not that I'm saying they will ever replace gorgeous Fudge, but they will help ease the hurt of Fudges departure.xx Fudge's parting and how you were feeling really... I don't know how to word it... But I felt heart broken for you. I felt the same as you when I lost my bridge bunnies - couldn't stop crying and it hurt like hell. No one got it (until I found RU :wave:) but then along came Reggie and he's a little blessing... Well.. Not little at 7 kg and still growing! :lol:

Awwwwww... I bet it was a mixture of emotion seeing Fudge's dad. Soon you will have two beautiful cuddle buns to run around after - not that I'm saying they will ever replace gorgeous Fudge, but they will help ease the hurt of Fudges departure.xx Fudge's parting and how you were feeling really... I don't know how to word it... But I felt heart broken for you. I felt the same as you when I lost my bridge bunnies - couldn't stop crying and it hurt like hell. No one got it (until I found RU :wave:) but then along came Reggie and he's a little blessing... Well.. Not little at 7 kg and still growing! :lol:

It totally was heart breaking!! Is it wrong to feel guilty? I kind of feel guilty. I hope he doesn't think I'm replacing him as that can never be done! He was like a dog! Bloody lunatic!!

Wow 7kg!!!! Fudge was only 2kg!!

~ Emmzie x

I use Petplan too. I don't have any experiences of any other pet insurance company but Petplan are pretty good and have always settled claims quickly. The only thing they don't pay out for is Ash's dentals to file her teeth down. The Cover for Life is really important imo, I overheard a dog owner in the vets once saying that they'd paid for insurance (not Petplan) for their dog for years and then when it was 11 yrs old it needed an op to remove a blockage costing £1500 and the insurance wouldn't pay out cos of the dog's age. :shock:

Sorry off on a tangent there, I pay about £13 per month, bit more than other people on this thread but that's probably because I claim so often!

I use Petplan too. I don't have any experiences of any other pet insurance company but Petplan are pretty good and have always settled claims quickly. The only thing they don't pay out for is Ash's dentals to file her teeth down. The Cover for Life is really important imo, I overheard a dog owner in the vets once saying that they'd paid for insurance (not Petplan) for their dog for years and then when it was 11 yrs old it needed an op to remove a blockage costing £1500 and the insurance wouldn't pay out cos of the dog's age. :shock:

Sorry off on a tangent there, I pay about £13 per month, bit more than other people on this thread but that's probably because I claim so often!

The life plan is very important! Animal is for life and that is the insurance they need.

This is what happened to my mum and dads dog, she has a serious spine operation, one of her discs where out of place. They covered that but wouldn't cover for other illnesses as they claimed a big amount last time! Joke

Looks like Petplan is the one to go for!

Anyone had any dealings with Pets At Home?

~ Emmzie x

It could also be your area! I haven't got insurance yet (I'll be getting it after Harry has been neutered!), but if I put my mums postcode in Newcastle in, it's less than £10 to insure, but because I live in Hertfordshire where vet care is sadly more expensive, I'll be paying £14.01 for 1 rabbit.

What is everyones excess? PetPlan say its £65 :shock:

It could also be your area! I haven't got insurance yet (I'll be getting it after Harry has been neutered!), but if I put my mums postcode in Newcastle in, it's less than £10 to insure, but because I live in Hertfordshire where vet care is sadly more expensive, I'll be paying £14.01 for 1 rabbit.

Why wait? If you intend to insure do it as soon as possible, any delay gives them chance to develop a condition that won't then be covered, I've been caught out like that a few times so I now insure any new rabbit within 24 hours of them arriving!

We're insured with helpucover.co.uk and our excess is £45. Pet Plan's excess was more and the premium was also more with Pet Plan and there was nothing in it as far as the cover was concerned. We went with helpucover in the end.

I managed to get both ours insured for £7.60 per month for both bunnies. This is how I did it....

The quote from helpucover was £6.05 for each bunny, that's £12.10 per month for both of them or £145.20 per year for both of them.

The quote includes a multi pet discount plus they did the first month free for the second bunny. That's £145.20-£6.05 = £139.15 per year for both bunnies.

Quidco were and still are doing a cash back offer of £24 per policy. That's equivalent to a further £48 off per year, which bring it down to £91.15 per year for both bunnies.

£91.15p / 12 months = £7.60 per month for bunnies or just £3.80 per month per bunny.

We've only had cover for just under 2 months and we've already been faced with a vet bill yesterday for £572!!! I started a thread about it.

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?400281-Thank-goodness-for-rabbit-pet-insurance

Back